Using Wiska boxes with Cable Glands

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dickie Flosp, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Dickie Flosp

Dickie Flosp New Member

Probably a very silly question, but when screwing a cable gland directly into a Wiska box, is it necessary to remove the rubber membrane from the hole first?

No instructions came with the box, and I can't find any instructions on the Web.

Reason I ask is that the gland seems to stick out a very long way from the box, with a lot of exposed thread, and looks unsightly.

There is a picture of a Wiska box with a gland screwed into it on the Wiska web site, but the photo is taken from such an angle so you can't actually see how far the gland sticks out.

Thanks in advance.

2. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Just screw the gland fully in so that it pushes past the rubber seal, the gland has it's own water seal around the cable and the edge of the membrane seals the thread where the gland screws into the box. I assume you're talking about plastic glands, (you can't use swa glands on Wiska boxes if you need to feed through as there's no room for a banjo and nut inside!)

3. Dickie Flosp

Dickie Flosp New Member

Hmmm. I tried screwing the gland home, but it simply smashed the entire rubber seal off the Wiska box (leaving nothing to seal around the gland), and before it was fully screwed in, it started to foul one of the screw mountings in the bottom of the box. It will not screw all the way in without modifying the Wiska box.

Yes, it is a plastic gland, and I purchased the correct gland as stated on the TLC web site.

4. Dickie Flosp

Dickie Flosp New Member

Ah ha! I think I've got to the bottom of the problem.

The picture of the gland shown on the TLC web site looks totally different from the gland they have sent me. The one pictured (EK 254B) looks like it would work with the Wiska box.

That is the item I ordered, but what I've actually received doesn't look anything like the picture. They've probably just picked the wrong item.

5. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Maybe that's the problem then Dickie but I can say that even with the proper gland the membrane still gets pushed right out when the gland is screwed fully in. I think the idea is that the edge just fits closely to the gland thread and seals it. At one time I used to put a smear of silicone on the thread but haven't bothered to do that for some time now, never had any problem with water getting in, (although I never use the top entry if I can help it.) The membrane does work well where you're running flex in without a gland, I often do that with outside lights, using a bottom entry hole, flex to lamp.

6. Dickie Flosp

Dickie Flosp New Member

Thanks seneca2 for the advice.

If the membrane is supposed to pop off then that's ok, but I think the problem with the glands they have sent me is that the thread is just too long. It won't go all the way in because it hits one of the screw holes sticking up from the bottom of the Wiska box.

With the type of gland pictured on the TLC web site, it looks like it would work perfectly.

A couple of pictures to illustrate the problem:

http://www.crumblenet.co.uk/wiska/

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

The 2nd gland is a far better version.

Both will work, especially with a 20mm locknut! ;)

8. Dickie Flosp

Dickie Flosp New Member

But they don't work, sinewave. The second type will not screw all the way in to the Wiska box. There are a number screw positions which stick up from bottom of the Wiska box for mounting the terminal block, and one of these gets in the way of the gland as it screws in. The thread needs to be about 5mm shorter, then it would work.

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

*** it's plastic Dickie! :^O

Tiz 20secs work with a hacksaw! :)

10. Dickie Flosp

Dickie Flosp New Member

Absolutely sinewave, and to be honest that's what I'll do!

But the whole point of these Wiska boxes is that they are supposed to be quick and simple to install - a property of which they are robbed when you have to start sawing the glands up to get them to fit ;)

Also, I'm not convinced the thread does seal properly - it seems very loose.

All things considered, I am rather unimpressed with the Wiska box. Maybe it would be better with compatible glands, though.

11. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

The only issue I have with Wiska boxes is not being able to continue the swa earth continuity if feeding through, apart from that I think they're great.

12. state-it

state-it New Member

13. Dickie Flosp

Dickie Flosp New Member

Yes, I know what you mean about the SWA earthing problem. My plan was to use SWA up to the Wiska box, then onwards in NYY-J, but I've now half a mind to just use NYY-J for the whole job.

Thanks for all the advice!

14. 50tpi

50tpi New Member

15. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

They look good 50 tpi, they're for the Wiska box without the internal thread I assume?

16. Dickie Flosp

Dickie Flosp New Member

Following on from this, I have been in an e-mail dialogue with Wiska.

Apparently, there is a special Wiska gland which, to quote the man from Wiska "...is designed with a small angle on the connection point between the gland and the box. This ensures a tight seal is created between the two rather than relying on an additional gasket which can get trapped or perished. This way the WISKA gland gives a better seal than our competitors."

So it would appear that using standard glands with Wiska boxes will not result in a proper seal.

17. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Wiska boxes will not result in a proper seal.

Surely Dickie has uncovered a major safety flaw with the use of weathertight glands in Wiska boxes. TLC clearly do not sell the right type and seem to recommend only the wrong type! How many Wiska JB's are in use with the potential to allow water ingress. To paraphrase other posts "use a hacksaw to make them fit" and "I always try to avoid a top entry". I would encourage Dickie to make sure both Wiska and TLC are aware.

diymostthings

18. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Whats a ''Wiska Box''..never heard of those.

19. fooman

fooman New Member

Whats a ''Wiska Box''..never heard of those.

read the post and click the links *** ;)

20. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Oh right..sorry Foo. It looks like a glorified adaptable box to me..flipping heck whats all the hoo ha about?

:)