Utilising void above staircase

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by amateur101, Oct 18, 2016.

1. amateur101

amateur101 New Member

Hi all,

I want to extend my bathroom into the head space above the staircase. The space will be used to incorporate a new sink and shelving above. The problem however is that anyone who is 6ft+ has to duck slightly when going up and down the stairs to avoid the existing ceiling.

It's not practical to run a framework along the landing and up to the ceiling and this will only limit the headroom further.

Can someone suggest a smart way to attach a new framework to the existing so that it will be able to bear a load (sink & tiles) whilst not impacting clearance height?

As you look at the existing wall to be extended (which is lath and plaster); to the left is an existing lath and plaster bedroom wall, to the right is the banister with landing and above is a plastered ceiling. Pictures attached.

Thanks for your help!

Bathroom1.JPG
    Bathroom2.JPG

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Intresting problem, you thought about a corner basin in bathroom?

3. amateur101

amateur101 New Member

No room for a corner basin as space is at a premium The bathroom will measure 170cmx170cm so need to reclaim storage space where possible.

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

how about something like this

Bathroom2.JPG

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

6. amateur101

amateur101 New Member

Thanks for the suggestion Wiggy. Do you not think the spindles being cut at various heights to accommodate the 45degree will look a little carp?

Would it be possible to reinforce the framework with 45 degree angles inside where the perpendicular angle occurs?

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Take a bucket in there and use that to wash with?

8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

If its done right i think it will look good, as well as having the lower 45s you could also tie it in to your ceiling joists, obviously making sure they are fit for purpose, I think it will be a nice little project to get in to

9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Or this, but I prefer the first idea. (can you tell what it is yet)

Bathroom1-2.JPG

10. amateur101

amateur101 New Member

KoolPC - that'd be better than the shower installed in there at present!

Wiggy - thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

11. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

go commando

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

No chance of robbing some room from the bedroom next door?

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Take the design by wiggy, fill it in. Also remove and fill up the banister here in red, and maybe add a doorframe and bring the door out to the red lines.
    From the stair side you will see all walling.

land.jpg

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. amateur101

amateur101 New Member

KoolPC - already done that...

HandyAndy - Pity there's a bedroom off to the right of the landing. The suggested position of your new door would effectively box the door off! Should have mentioned, apologies.

With that in mind, would you still advocate Wiggy's suggestion, minus the filling in?

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Can't help feeling that something is going to look a bit odd if not stopping the balustrades and blanking it off square!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. amateur101

amateur101 New Member

Thanks for everyone's input. Still undecided but think I'll square it off.

17. rym megherbi

rym megherbi New Member

hi, very curious to know what the outcome was. If you've managed to place the sink and tiles and at what cost?

18. rym megherbi

rym megherbi New Member

I'm just curious to know how it went and how much it cost you? Was it successful and was there no problem with bearing the load of the sink?