Utility room sink and washing machine

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by 31K, Apr 27, 2024.

1. 31K

31K New Member

Hi, new to the forum and need help with a DIY install please

I have a cold water feed and drainage in the utility room and will be installing a sink in the middle of the wall, in-between a washing machine on the left, and a dryer on the right.

Please see pictures attached.

I have 0 experience of soldering and want to go down the copper push fit route (unless compression is advised).

I am looking to extend the existing piping to the sink cabinet and installing a stop cock there to feed the sink tap and washing machine. Is there any issues with me extending the pipe to run below the cabinet and come back up to the sink/washing machine?

Also, for drainage from the sink and the washing machine (which will go into the sink waste pipe) the existing pipe is approx 600mm from the floor should I cut this down?

Please let me know what pipe and compression fittings I need.

Thanks in advance! IMG_20240427_111835.jpg IMG_20240427_111749.jpg

2. LearnMore

LearnMore Well-Known Member

No harm in extending it. Do you plan to add hot water too? You’ll need a tee, and probably better replacing that washing machine connection with new, so perhaps a washing machine tee? I wouldn’t use a stopcock, a full bore lever valve would be better.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. 31K

31K New Member

Thanks for getting back to me.

No need for hot water as there is no pipe for it coming into the room.

I was planning on the doing the below: 17142225241132664541617436159387.jpg

1 x 15mm push fit connecting tee
    3 x 15mm push fit elbow
    1 x 15mm full bore lever valve
    1 x 15mm copper pipe

What fittings do I need after the lever valve to go to the washing machine and the tap?

Can I go from the sink waste directly into the drain, should I shorten the height to allow water to travel through or will it be ok? And what connecting parts would be needed?

4. LearnMore

LearnMore Well-Known Member

What’s with the multitude of elbows? I’d be running it horizontally.

arrow likes this.
  5. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

LearnMore likes this.
  6. 31K

31K New Member

Ok thanks, I was going to run it under the cabinet as the IKEA units have no service void behind them which means cutting the cabinet.

Should I avoid that and just run it straight into the cabinet from the side?

Assuming I would need a washing machine tee and then a sink connector inside the cabinet.

Can I go from the sink waste directly into the drain, should I shorten the height to allow water to travel through or will it be ok? And what connecting parts would be needed?

7. 31K

31K New Member

Thanks. If I do that the valve will be behind the washing machine, ideally I want it under the sink so that I can isolate it it I need to. Alternatively I could always turn the main stop cock in the kitchen off I guess.

Is compression more reliable than push fit? Should I use compression for the other fittings and connections?

8. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Fit a piece of 2x2 par to the wall to make a service void and fit a 2" wider worktop.
    Alternatively fit units with a service void.

LearnMore likes this.