utility room with shower cubicle

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sams, Apr 7, 2014.

1. sams

sams Member

Looking at plans drawn up by an architect for a domestic bungalow conversion.

It shows a utility room with under worktop washing machine and a shower cubicle , so in my opinion this is a shower room with a washing machine in .

The socket for the washing machine will be below the worktop and only accessible if pulling out the washer.

can anyone see any regulations violations or is it acceptable ?

2. Jamie Giles

Jamie Giles New Member

Is the washing machine more than 0.6M from the shower basin?

3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

RCD protected?, I would imagine so if it's a conversion.

4. sams

sams Member

yes its 1 m

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Lol, socket-outlets have to be a minimum of 3m from baths or showers.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

It doesn't matter that the washing machine needs to be pulled out to access the socket. In it present design it is not Regs. compliant. I would say the Architect is not conversant with wiring Regs.
    I would put the shower cubicle in its own room. Build a partition across it with a door then it becomes its own special location and the utility room next to it is then outside of the rules.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I think the zone extends outside the shower, even if a door is fitted. Also, someone might confirm, but I think if the w-mach is connected via a fcu, this migh be acceptable. I not going to check though. Also, I think the w/mach needs the correct IP rating for the zone, same as any other lectric stuff, like lecy towel rails etc.

8. spinlondon

Yep, an FCU can be within 3m of a bath or shower.

9. sams

sams Member

spoken to the architect and he is insisting that if a full height shower door from floor to ceiling is fitted than the shower cubicle becomes another room and is not part of the utility room , that's how he gets round it

to me its a load of rubbish its still a utility room with a shower cubicle

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Agreed. The shower needs to be in its own room else it will impose limitations as to what accessories are allowed in it. Innit!

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If the shower cubicle is a solid floor to ceiling with door or is 2.25 metres from the floor, then if the socket is a metre from the cubicle it is outside zone 2 and is perfectly safe, to fully comply the flex on the WM has to be short enough so that the WM can not be moved in to zone 2 while plugged in.

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Sockets are not allowed within 3m though. Zones don't come in to it for sockets I'm afraid. Its 3m.

13. Pffft, 0.6m? If I come out of the shower too briskly, and perform a pirouette, certain bits can easily swing though a great arc than that.

14. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The idea is that you are covered in water when you step out and therefore more at risk to being a good conductor in the event of electric shock. So a door really means very little. I wouldn't have though you could box in a bath, put a door in and expect everything outside this to be outside the zones.

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

smiley-laughing025.gif

16. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

Knew it, DA a ballet dancer in secret!!! :D

17. spinlondon

I'm wondering why this so called architect believes a full length shower cubicle becomes a room in its own right?
    Does the same apply to built in wardrobes, larders etc?

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Not being funny or owt..:D but if you build a room with a door, then surely the room is its own entity? ie if you open the door and the shower and stuff is in the room then as long as everything conforms electrically in said then what's outside the shower room has nowt to do with anything else..:cool:

Merely an observation from a diy perspective Spin..:D

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

To expand a tad - I would think that there is more relevance with respect to the Tom Titter in the shower room. If the door opens out into the kitchen or dining room etc, then there is the health issue - ie ***** fumes and stuff. This would not conform to building regs full stop.

20. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select