Van broke into. .

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sparky Si-Fi, Apr 28, 2016.

1. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Always empty mine, which is a pain at the moment due to council, as its a first floor flat. But the back never gets broken into any way. They'd never find the tools if there was any, cod they'd be under the **** and rubbish that hides them when I am I Ikea. They look at it and think tip run, next.

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Another bad day at the office. Hope karma works.

I just acquired a exBT Doblo and as wondering what extra locks to get fitted?

3. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

We used to park our van in a corner. Tight. So no access to rear or side door.

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

A booby trap bomb would be a good option. Some of the tools might survive it.
    Like the festool and metabo stuff.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Wrapped up with a few kilos of 4" nails.

6. How silly would you feel if you stepped into your van one morning having forgotten to disable the booby trap first... :rolleyes:

Not that I'm wishing that on you or nuffink :oops:.

Anyways, orf to bed - happy dreams... :D

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I got turned over a few years ago at the B&Poo at Leyton, the first of 4 times I've been robbed. The next time I went back I left my labourer in the back with a loaded nail gun.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deadlocks or beter still slamlocks & slamplates,they automatically locks the vehicle door immediately when it is shut.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  9. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I've never tried my paslode by holding back the safety plunger. I expect it would eject the nails quite lethally.

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Comlec likes this.
  11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It was an air nailer, I had the compressor in there as well!

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

13. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Had to comment on the 2nd video of the attempt to break in using the sledge etc. in this day and age where there is no community spirit, if you would have left keys inside the van and had no choice but to 'break' in, a passer by (might but slim) would ask what your doing you say left keys in the van and they would just walk away. .

14. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

A couple of years ago we had a Discovery and my daughter in law had just given birth to our first grandchild,we'd gone to the hospital to visit and as we were getting out the key snapped in the ignition! I sent my wife in to see our grandchild while I set about trying to sort the problem,in the end I ended up removing the barrel with a large hammer and chisel,on a busy hospital car park at 7 in the evening on a warm summers night.There were loads of people about and do you know what happened? Absolutely nothing! not one person tried to stop me or even fetch the police or hospital security.A sad world we live in.

On the subject of people coming around selling tools,my mate was on a site one day and this foreign chap came in trying to sell a load of secondhand gear,the lads chased him and he was beaten quite badly then the gear taken off him,It was my mate's first day on that job and he asked one of the lads what was going on.Apparently there were several sites in the area and this guy was robbing the vans of the lads on one site and taking the gear to one of the others to try and sell it.I believe he had trouble picking things up when they'd finished with him.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think so.

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

A battery angle grinder with a slitting blade will remove most lock quite quickly. And most thieves carry them these days.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

My neighbour was a BT Technician and parked his van at home. It was broken into several times ...

One night when his was in for repairs, he was lent a van which had clear glass windows and no mesh. He left absolutely nothing in the van and you could see it was empty. Guess what - still broken into!

He did finally have high quality slam locks fitted which stopped the break-ins. Then he is allocated a new van and when he went to collect it, he asked where the slam locks were and was told "there is no history of this van being broken in to, so no slam locks". So very logical for a new van! Within two or three days - it happened, however there were few things of value in there.

18. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

A mate of mine who worked at BT once told me that at one particular depot they were told to leave the vans unlocked. It was cheaper than buying new parts everyone someone wanted to get inside a van.right rough area that was.

19. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Si, sorry to hear your plight. I hope you get your gear back soon and catch up with the thieving gits that stole it.

Kind regards

sparky Si-Fi likes this.
  20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

At the charity shop the till is left open, even though no money is inside, this is because if thieves broke the till register it would cost more to fix it.