Ventilation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by liam84, Nov 1, 2014.

1. liam84

liam84 New Member

Hi All,

Just bought a bungalow and I am suffering with terrible damp and condensation.

The entire floor is a concrete slab and have no air bricks or trickle vents.

My thoughts are to install air bricks in each room but how many per room and where to place them. (high up the wall or low)

If I am wrong please feel free to shoot me down.

Any help would be great. Thanks

2. PaddyW

PaddyW New Member

Hi, I have the same problem. I have a bungalow in Spain which is locked up for months at a time. There are no air vents and I return to condensation damage such as flaky paint and black mould. some of my neighbours have had dpc installed but I do not believe that damp is the problem.
    I have just bought a dehumidifier and have used this to take out most of the excess moisture. I put it on a high setting and filled 3 buckets with water in the first week. I have now put it on a low setting while I am away with a hose taking the water into the shower. It will shut down when the humidity is at an acceptable level.
    This is just an interim solution as I am going to fit some air vents. I have found a good quality product that looks ascetically good inside the house with an acoustic control to keep noise at a minimum. It is adjustable in terms of directing the incoming air and can also be closed. They have a cowl hood on the outside. They cost £11 each which I think is excellent value for what they are. Like you I am puzzled over where in the wall I should place the vents. Building regulations suggest they should be at least 1.75 metres from the floor but they say this is for comfort and to avoid cold drafts rather than for technical reasons.
    I was thinking of having them about 40 centimeters from the floor but I am open to be guided if there is a good reason to have them higher.
    I am an amateur and would be grateful for any advice.
    Many thanks PaddyW

3. PaddyW

PaddyW New Member

Hi
    I received 2 forum emails today that liam84 had replied to my post. I clicked the thread link but I cannot see any new posts to this thread.
    PaddyW

4. Ianbl

Ianbl New Member

I wouldn't put air bricks in. Messy job and cold draught makers.
    I'd go for trickle vents. Cheap and easy to fit. Can be opened and closed at will.
    But the most important action to take, to prevent condensation is to try and expell moisture at source ie toilet and kitchen fans exhausting vitiated, moisture laden air outside before having a chance to condense on the walls.
    Also keep the house warm. Cold walls are where condensation occurs.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Are the windows double glazed or single?

Check this broucher out.

Attached Files: