Vertical Rad pipes Aimed directly at Joists

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Flame, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Flame

Flame Member

So i have to install 2 new rads under windows in the bedroom, the problem is the vertical pipes coming off the TRVs will be going directly into the floor joists. What's the usual solution for this problem?

I thought about angling the pipe slightly to avoid the joist but i'm not sure how stupid this will look or how severe the angle will be until i get the rad on the wall, which i havent done yet. (Pipes will definetily hit joists though)

I also thought about using a 90 degree bend and having the pipes sit more or less on the underside of the floorboards & notching out as little as possible of the joist, I obviously want to avoid taking out 4 large sections of one joist.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Flame likes this.
  3. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

rather than pipes coming straight down and getting involved with joists how about two 90 degree bends to bring the pipe down more underneath the radiator?

Flame likes this.
  4. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

[​IMG]

Flame likes this.
  5. Flame

Flame Member

Sorry I should've been clearer, The joists run parallel to the wall. There's not enough space on the wall side to drop down and run through the joists, so the downpipes would have to come into the room at an angle. the previous and ancient rad was connected up with 10mm bore pipe & chased out floorboards, rather than joists.

I do have a pipe bender, do you mean angle the trvs, then bend the pipe underfloor?

6. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

so a joist running right under the radiator?
    Where do the pipes need to go to? Will they be running perpendicular to and presumablly under the joists or parallel and between them?
    Was the old pipe notched into the joist or just bend around it to fit?
    can you make a 90 bend so you just miss the joist, brining it out away from the wall and through the level of the floor boards before dropping it down? you could then cover the top of the pipe with a small plate for protection and then covering with carpet etc. would look naff though if not going down the carpet route. other options would be to go through the joist but there are implications based on the size of joist, size of hole (15mm copper?) and where in the joist you are making the hole.

Flame likes this.
  7. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Just notch out the joist directly under where the pipe will drop down.
    Drill in to the side of the joist using a spade bit, it will only be about 20 mm deep. Solder up the elbow that is going to sit in the notch first (obviously), cut to length the copper pipe as it fits into the valve.
    Job done, nice and neat.

Flame likes this.
  8. Flame

Flame Member

I think that's the rout I'll go down. but More the first, chopping out the floorboard and only a small amount of the joist, covering with a small plate or something for a little added protection, maybe no plate if it's sitting nice on the joist. it's our bedroom & we will be carpeting so nicely covered up and rarely walked. Cheers. :D

9. BY pipe-bending, I was thinking more of replicating the 2x45o bends - ie crank the pipe that necessary half inch or so so's the pipe misses the joist. It will barely be noticeable, and will in any case look neat and purposeful.

I certainly wouldn't slope or angle the pipes - that will look hellish.

But, by all means, notch out the tops of the joists to take a 90o elbow as suggested above.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Why not bring them out to miss the joist and fit a radiator cover to hide the pipes ?

Much less work and it gives space for partners to put their bits and pieces on

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. Lots of options.

But, really, if the easiest option is to use 2 of 45o bends - or a pipe bender to perform a similar offset-crank - then this will look absolutely fine as, from the front at least, the bends will be in line and not obvious to see. And in any case the basic pipe line will be vertical.

And, frankly, no-one comes in to a room to study rad pipes anyway...

12. Flame

Flame Member

You're right. I think when i get the rads on and see exactly how much room i have to play with is when i'll decide which way to go.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  13. Flame

Flame Member

DA, as advised, not the tidiest but i'm a novice. Also notched out more than needed but didnt go all the way though the joist. Fingers crossed the floor stays up ;)

Attached Files:

John Peden likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have you checked the flow in your system ? Both TRV's are facing each other and you have some micro bore T's as well

upload_2017-4-19_21-6-50.png

15. Flame

Flame Member

The microbore is temp as that's what the house has throughout, my intention is to replace it all however we needed radiators in our bedroom cos it's a little chilly still. Could you explain why there's an issue with TRVs facing each other, i actually did it out of convinence, however i connected the microbores up wrong at the beginning so it was effectively running those rads backwards, while that happened the larger rad on the right didnt heat up at all, the flow now is much better & both rads heat up quick and are blasting out heat compared to what we are used to. The only issue i do have & don't know how to correct is that i adjusted one trv down to 3 from 5 and it went cold turkey rather than just cooler?

16. Nice work, man!

That's gonna be fine :)

17. It looks to me as tho' both TRVs are coming from the SAME pipe? So no 'flow' issue. Also most TRVs these days can be fitted on either flow or return, tho' I'd always recommend they go on the 'flow' as this has the water acting to open the valve and no threatening to shut it offski.

Flame likes this.
  18. Flame

Flame Member

Correct, both are fed off a T

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

TRV's are normally on the input (flow side) of the radiator. However, depending on the TRV they can be fitted on the outbound side.

If you have a look at the TRV body there should be an arrow (s) or in the instruction manual there should be a setting to for in or out