Very low Ze and Zs

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Nov 19, 2014.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

What Meter would you trust, a 10 year old Unitest one that has only just been calibrated or a brand new Kewtechnic one that came with a calibration cert.

Doing a Ze/IPF test I got 0.03/9kA with the kew technic and 0.14/1.75kA with the unitest.

The Ze seems too low on the kew meter to me although the instructions with it said it would be more accurate when testing close to the transformer, (it is right next door), due to reactance?

I tried them both at home and got pratically the same reading on both, why would they be so different when close to the transformer.

Also another quirk, the unitest failed a circuit on insulation, L-E was 0.00, however the kew meter passed it with 300+Mohms. All other circuits meggered ok with either meter. What could short the unitest but not the kew one, all I can think is the cable was getting charged up like a capacitor which the unitest couldn't deal with but the kew one could, they were long runs but the others were too and they tested ok.

2. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

One that has just been calibrated would be the one I would choose :) One that has just been delivered through a postal football field knocks and bumps I have worked in the warehouse dispatch, if it was a nuclear bomb that was armed they would still kick it throw it and do all things that should not be done. Fragile to them is an anagram of destroy

3. peter palmer

It was actually bought off the shelf from Denmans. The Unitest has been brilliant, gave about £450 for it 10 years ago and it has never missed a beat. I only bought a new one as we have a big testing job to do and could do with 2 meters.

I have just done some proper tests at home, TNC-S supply.

Unitest 0.2 ohms Zs, Kewtechnic 0.1 ohms Zs - same result however leads are configured and on both high and low tests. Same lead set is used with both meters, again kew meter seems unrealistically low to me.

Zs test at a socket using plug in lead

Unitest 0.4 ohms, kewtechnic 0.42 ohms on low test, both trip RCD on high test.

All the other aspects are spot on, RCD trip times and continuity both exactly the same.

4. flateric

I know you say off the shelf, was it calibrated in store or calibrated delivered ?

5. peter palmer

Well I was told it came uncalibrated but on opening the box there was a calibration cert inside so I suppose it could have been knocked in transit. Wouldn't have thought there was anything movable inside to change the readings anyway.

Denmans do calibration days by Fluke where it is half price, and when ever I go in there when its being done the bloke at the desk has test meters all round him but I have yet to see one with the back off and him fiddling round inside it. I suspect there is not much inside them to change.

6. flateric

That Is a fair discrepancy on the two readings

7. flateric

Try some of the independent calibration services they can be far cheaper than your dealerships

8. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

If i were you Pete, i would give Kewtech a call/email. They are helpful. My KT64 buggered up... they sent a courier out to collect it, replaced a part inside, calibrated it (certificate came back with it) and couriered it back to me for £100

Kewtech Corporation Ltd

76, St Catherine's Grove

Lincoln

LN5 8NA

phone 01522 546888

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Maybe the leads needs to be zero'ed on the Zs test - on my crappy Fluke you have to re-zero the leads for Zs test and for continuity otherwise I do get some stupid readings.

10. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

To be honest, I would never purchase anything made by Kewtech.
    Metrel, Megger or Fluke are the only brands I would consider.
    Did the calibration cert have a date for calibration, and a space for you to put the date when placed into service?

11. FatHands

hi spin,
    why is that? have you had a bad experience with their stuff?
    cheers

12. peter palmer

I've sent Kewtech a email but have not had a reply yet, we had a big testing job to do but only one meter between two of us. We were going to pay someone for the week to help us out as we were on a deadline but I thought the money would be put to better use buying a second tester so we could both get on with it. However its not worked out that way as we have used both meters on a fair few loop tests to try and make sense of it all.

Take a twin socket in a room, kewtech 2.8 on one side 0.01 on the other, both clearly way out, connected unitest to same plug lead and get a reading of 0.64 on both sides, swap back to kewtech and its 2.8/0.01. Did this without removing the plug from the socket, as you can get different readings depending how good a contact the plug makes with the socket.

It is good for the auto RCD tests though and the continuity and Mohms is quick and accurate. However this brings me onto another question.

The unitest RCD test does not have a phase switch on it, you do one test at x1 and one test at x5 and get the results, I did query this at the time and was told by a calibration bloke it didn't need to do this for a reason I cant quite remember.
    On a sample RCD tested I got 39ms (x1) and 19ms (x5) with the unitest and 39/29 (x1) and 29/19 (x5) with the kewtechnic one, so the worst case figures are 39 and 29 ms. I know everything passes but which is correct.

13. FatHands

Sounds like the Kewtech needs to go in for repair mate (warranty of course)

14. peter palmer

Meant to update this, I have returned the tester and got a replacement, it seems a lot more accurate, it still reads slightly lower then the Unitest but the results are a lot more stable and consistant. They are also pretty similar to the original installation cert readings, so I am happy to use this one.

FatHands likes this.
  15. FatHands

ah that's news Pete. ;)