Vibration in the Plumbing causing a rumbling noise in the Bathroom

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by goodtyneguy, Jul 4, 2007.

1. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

When I flush the loo I receive a rumbling noise coming from the bath. Turning the cold tap on in the bathroom and then reigning it back to a slow dribble stops the noise.

Once the cistern stops filling the noise disappears.

I think the noise is coming from a vibration in the inlet valve/pipe to the water tank in the loft.

The plastic watertank is elevated on a platform in the loft to gravity feed the shower. I think the vibration is running down to the pipework suppling the bath. The hollowness under the bath is having a drum like affect hence the rumbling noise.

Anyone.....?

Thanks

2. John the Plumber

John the Plumber New Member

Pipe hammer is sometimes caused by excessive lengths of unsupported pipework.
    However something has to start it hammering in the first place and that is probably a worn ballvalve in the toilet cistern.
    Try changing the ballvalve and, if that doesn't completely cure it, try clipping/supporting the pipework.
    Good luck,
    John

3. > I think the noise is coming from a vibration in the
    inlet valve/pipe to the water tank in the loft.

..are you sure it's not your mrs playing with her 'toy'?

4. gnld

gnld New Member

incomming pressure problems why not try to balance the pressure at main incomming pipe work.

5. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Want to try the low/no cost diagnostic methods first.

incomming pressure problems why not try to balance the pressure at main incomming pipe work.

What :) could you elaborate on that please.

6. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Try changing the ballvalve and, if that doesn't completely cure it, try clipping/supporting the pipework

John, the pipe work is nicely supported as far as I can see. Is that the ball valve in the water tank in the loft you're talking about?

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

most likely the wc ballvalve

8. doitall

doitall New Member

Buy a "fluidmaster" and sleepeasy

9. gasrate

gasrate New Member

Ive had rumbling in my bathroom. But that was back in '73 so im not going to bother you with it right at this moment.

10. rocketron

rocketron New Member

Try a vibrator in bedroom. and see if you here rumbling in the bathroom

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Could be an airlock somewhere. Try when flushing the loo with the lid off, stopping and starting the valve(by lifting the ballcock up and down) about twenty times. This can sometimes close up an airlock.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

12. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Could be an airlock somewhere. Try when flushing the loo with the lid off, stopping and starting the valve(by lifting the ballcock up and down) about twenty times. This can sometimes close up an airlock.

Tried that and the noise seems to have shifted to coming from the sink in the vanity unit.

13. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Try changing the ballvalve and, if that doesn't
    completely cure it, try clipping/supporting the
    pipework

John, the pipe work is nicely supported as far as I
    can see. Is that the ball valve in the water tank in
    the loft you're talking about?

Yes, it will be.
    Best if you change the whole b/valve and not to split it inside the tank. This practice can make the new b/valve as noisy as the old one.

14. doitall

doitall New Member

Forget the tank in the roof, you don't get water hammer from a low pressure supply.

Change the toilet ballvalve as above.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Forget the tank in the roof, you don't get water
    hammer from a low pressure supply.

Change the toilet ballvalve as above.

The ballvalve in the roof tank has a low pressure supply ?

Or the toilet is not supplied by tank in roof ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really