Victorian Architraves

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jitender, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Does anyone know where i can get these mouldings, the modern ones are similar but just don't look right

Think they are going to be to be machined.

Kitchen
    upload_2017-4-8_10-10-4.png

Rest of House
    upload_2017-4-8_10-9-56.png

Front Room+Living Room
    upload_2017-4-8_10-13-0.png

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you want a cutter made identical to that profile for bespoke moulding machining your looking at around £100 or more for it.
    There are firms who stock wide range of Victorian mouldings.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Going to pop into the timber merchants and see. Majority of the house is similar its just the kitchen that is different.

I know I could put modern stuff on but in my mind i will always be thinking that isn't the original design. Trying to keep original features wherever possible otherwise they get lost.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Try Midland Mouldings or SkirtingBoards Direct.com Jit. Couple years ago I had to have 13m of Victorian architrave machined up in Robert Price merchants, South Wales, they had to make a cutter for it, cost me nearly £140 in total :eek: but had to have it.

5. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

What I like is the way you're trying to keep everything as it should be, getting rarer these days as so many tradesman just grab an MDF moulding from Wickes. Not that there's anything wrong with MDF mouldings, it's just nice to see someone wanting to stay original!

Jitender likes this.
  6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

7. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Their tooling charge for custom mouldings is very reasonable.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There is quite a big difference in style to the architraves pattern you get from the timber merchant, for me it's quite important to keep everything as it once was.

Going to pop into the timber merchants a few miles away who do a machining service, something they can replicate similar using the existing cutters they have.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Can you post a picture of the cross section. May be able to identify it that way or work out how to do it via standard cutters or moulding

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

These are the cross sections. The bigger one could be made as a planted moulding but don't need this one. Had the front door made a few years ago and the architraves was the same, so got the joiner to make up the architrave for this door frame.

Kitchen
    upload_2017-4-9_11-49-50.png

Rest of House
    upload_2017-4-9_11-55-16.png

This is modern pattern which is available from timber merchants.
    upload_2017-4-9_11-50-2.png

Front Room + Living Room
    upload_2017-4-9_11-50-12.png

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you any reclamation yards near where you live, the three top mouldings are OG and perhaps could be adapted to your needs with a router with a suitable cutter.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep top three are Ogee fairly easy to get although there are variations between suppliers much like on you samples

The third section you can make up yourself. If you start with a plywood base the profile can be made up through stock profiles you can get at B&Q or a timber merchant. The top right section is simply Ogee with the leading edge sawn off and a half round bead placed in front. Painted up, you would barely notice the difference

upload_2017-4-9_12-50-0.png

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

:);).............:cool:!

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Got in contact with the timber merchants who are about 8 miles away and was given a price of £350 to machine both the moldings in pine. 7 door sets in total. Cutter charge is £95 each and required two so going ahead with this.

Going to take a few weeks to make up.

16. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Make sure you get some spare of each as you never know what might happen. And as you are paying for the tooling, why not ask for it? You then have it if you ever need it again.

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

7 door sets, as in 20 odd metres or 40 odd metres?

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The guy at the merchants said he asked the machinist if they had any similar patterns but unfortunately didn't.

I wanted a close enough match so don't mind paying for the extra, seem to be cheaper than a local joinery I used and get things done quite quickly.

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

7 door frames both sides.

Working it out as 2.1m x 2 + 1.0 m = 5.2. So 10.4m for one complete door frame.

So working out to over 70 meters for the lot.

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Fitted the large architraves to the downstairs door today, will be adding picture in 'project photos'

when I had the front door made by the local joinery shop I got them to machine architraves for 2 door sets, they had been in the loft for over a year so quite settled.

Luckily didn't make a mistake on them otherwise would have been short:oops:

These were machined in tuilp/popular wood. A lot longer lengths some upto 2.9m, as some ends had some splits developing so had to cut them off.