Village hall timer problem

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Smith1311, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Smith1311

Smith1311 New Member

hi all.

I've recently been called out to a village hall where heating is provided by 6 panel heaters. as the hall is used infrequently the heaters are switched on when occupied but then left switched on. some were left on for 2 weeks straight once and cost the customer £300.

i would like advice on what controls i could install to restrict the time these heaters on left on for.
    i was thinking something similar to a PIR but unsure of what to use?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mr Milliamp

Mr Milliamp Member

How about a timer or thermostat (or both) that controllers a contactor?

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Contactor controlled by a time lag switch of some sort - For example:

[​IMG]

This would give you 1-4 hours of heating before being switched off.

Single PIRs are good for "presence detection'. You want "absence detection". You would need to cover the whole area with either a microwave detector, or several PIR's.

4. Smith1311

Smith1311 New Member

Thanks for replies.

Lectrician that is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again!

5. Lectrician

Timer guard do two versions, 1-4 hour or 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, 2. 4 hour most appropriate in my opinion. Use that to switch a contactor.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No linky..:eek::D

7. Lectrician

Buy it where you want! My wholesaler stocks both, TLC do both, Timeguard is not exactly a tricky brand to track down! I was only giving an example, available from many other manufacturers too.

Could even use a din rail multifunction timer and push-to-make switch, the switch being a momentary grid switch, or even a momentary key switch.

8. camels toe

camels toe Member

Sangamo Timer S254.
    Can't beat these for a time clock.

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

For a time clock, thats correct, they are decent timeclocks. But they are completely useless for this application. A time clock would switch on every day for some hours.

If you take the time to read and understand the original post you will see that the poster wants the ability for the heaters to be turned on only when needed and to prevent them being left on for extended periods.

So,,the Timeguard device suggested by Lectrician plus a contactor is all that is needed.

10. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Can't the village idiot pop in every now and then to do it

11. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Nah, He was probably the one who left them on in the first place.:)

Sparkielev likes this.