Wall cabinet fitting bracket would be over electrical cable.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by imk, Jul 27, 2014.

1. imk

imk New Member

Hello,
    I have a run of five wall cabinets to fix 300,300,600,300,300. the problem is that in three place along this run there are electrical cable buried in the wall that can not be moved. The problem is that each cable drop is right where I would put the wall cabinet fixing screws.

So what I thought was to have a piece of 1.8m long 2mm steel strip made up (bent like normal fix bracket) and screw it to the wall in several places and hang all the cabinet off this long fixing strip. I guess I would have to cut a little out of cabinet side panel to allow it to bridge the strip but I think this is only options.

Any better ideas please and any one know where I can buy a long fixing bracket rather than have to make one?
    Many thanks imk

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Jitender and FatHands like this.
  3. imk

imk New Member

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Pleased I have saved you the hassle of making yourself and hope the job goes to plan :)

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What a good idea, I've always wondered what to do when there is a cable run behind the proposed fixing. It will just mean notching a section of the rear of the cabinet so that the the metal hanger bracket strip can be run at a longer length.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

That's right Jitender. You have to measure the run of cabinets and cut the rail to the length needed, and notch out on the cabinets where the back edge isn't seen Be careful not to notch out the outside edges of cabinets at the ends of the run though. They're also very useful for putting cabinets on studwork walls, where there are limited fixing opportunities. ;);)

7. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

As you are notching the units anyway you can just move the brackets so that the fixing screws do not go through any cables. Make a small horizontal chase 50mm below the bracket to check exactly where the wires are. (by hand):)