Wall cupboards onto plasterboard lining

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by diymostthings, Feb 2, 2016.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hi - I've fited several kitchens over the years as successful DIY projects - but always had solid brick to attach the wall cupboard brackets.

I'm now replacing my son's kitchen and this is plasterboard lined, dot and dab onto blockwork. The "cavity" between plasterboard and blockwork is approximately 15mm.

The wall cupboard fixings from the old units appeared to screw directly through the plasterboard and into the blockwork with no apparent wall plugs - a strange shallow spiral thread.

Question: Should I plug the blockwork and use threaded coach bolts or is there a product which would screw directly into the blockwork? (I heard of a product I think called "Thunderbolts")?

e.g. http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-... and Fixings&gclid=COOdiInZ2coCFYpsGwodOuwKgA

Thanks for any advice

diymosthings

2. The joys of carp modern building methods.

tore81 and Tiny01 like this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If using plugs, go a drill size smaller and don't use hammer action. Will give a better grip. Also worth angling your drill bit down a tad too.

4. diymostthings

Yes I hate plasterboard walls with a passion.

5. diymostthings

OK thanks for the tip. I understand the logic!

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Stud walls are fine but dot and dab :mad::mad: