Wall light change of use

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tony-two-sugars, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Hi all, my question is as follows-
    I have a switched wall light (switch separate from light on other side of my room).
    Want I want to be able to do is use the light to connect a rope light which comes with a transformer and
    A three pin plug...
    Can I cut said plug off and connect straight to wires, or do I connect a point to the light wires, can it be done without an earth as there are only 2 wires live/neutral?
    Thanx in advance
    Tony2sugars

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Check the transformer, could well be double insulated, in which instance there will only be the live and neutral used. Also depends on the amount of amps the transformer draws from the mains. I'm sure Unphased or Seneca will be along shortly to advise further. ;);)

3. T-2-S, almost certainly - but you'd need to confirm, that transformer doesn't require an earth. When you open the plugtop, is there an earth wire there?

Wall-mounted light? And you are going to mount this transformer where?

Anyways, in theory there is no reason why you can't do what you are suggesting, but you should ideally have some neat and safe way of connecting the new trannie cable to the old light's wires. Something like a mounting plate which is a 'blank' plate but with a hole for a cable to come out the front and has a cable-securing clamp inside. Some will come with connecting terminals, although you could simply use a terminal strip for this. But it really needs covering safely, and also the cable being prevented from being pulled free.

If this trannie has a plug on a wire, why not simply plug it in to a normal socket? You can get remote-control plugs so you can operate it wirelessly.

I can't see where you are going to fit this trannie on a wall...

4. Thanx for your suggestions, the light will be fitted in an alcove that has a built in shelves and at the top has cornice where said light/transformer will be placed. So just like above a kitchen wall unit.

5. That sounds fine.

From what you say, the lights are likely to be very low power - can you check the transformer to see its current or power rating and report back?

Assuming it's waaaay under a few amps, it should be fine to wire it as explained above, but just make sure that (a) the connection is safely protected from prying fingers, and (b) it's fused if required. Oh and (c) it's earthed if required.

And probably other stuff too...