Wall mounted chair in bathroom. How to demount it? Help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by TeleChris2, Apr 27, 2024.

1. TeleChris2

TeleChris2 New Member

We need to remove the wall mounted chair in the shower without damaging the tiles.

All the screws have been unsrewed (3 on the top and 5 in the bottom).

But in spite of this the chair is firmly as it was attached to the wall.
    I tried to push/ move it in all directons in hope that it holds on some kind of hooks but it is not moving in the slightest.

I wonder now whether it is simply glued to the tiles!

But maybe there is some other hope?

Any suggestions please?

Attached Files:

2. dray

dray Screwfix Select

Possibly does have a silicon around it, perhaps cut carefully around the edge and then see if it moves.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. TeleChris2

TeleChris2 New Member

No. There is no silicone. I am able to insert a screwdriver and bend the plastic to make a gap 2mm but it holds very firmly !

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

In the second picture it looks like there may be wall plugs still showing. Is it possible they are gripping somehow, as they don't seem to be fully inserted into the tiles?

5. TeleChris2

TeleChris2 New Member

No no. Nothing of this kind. It's just a bit of plastic. Thanks for suggestion anyway.

I think I'm going to use a grinder and cut the bloody thing out starting around the edges to see what's inside first !

6. dray

dray Screwfix Select

One final thought, could it be locked onto a hidden plate and need lifting up or sideways to slide it off?

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Cut out as much of the chair as possible and see if any hidden fixings etc..

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Removed one similar for mother in law couple years ago and also had a nightmare getting the the thing off the wall

Like you, didn’t want to damage tiles as was just removing old rusty seat and replacing with new seat

No ideas on make of old seat but what I found, all the screw fixings hold the back plate to wall

Seat then hooks onto back plate, then secured with 2 steel pins that push in sideways from seat into back plate

Impossible to remove these pins so as you’ve suggested, cut the seat and back plate off with 4” grinder, working carefully and in sections to preserve the tiles

Replaced with a Mira fold up seat

TeleChris2 and dray like this.
  9. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

Does it mount by sliding down over the mounting bracket with 3 holes in? if so give it a sharp whack upward, the bracket might have more screws in it.

10. TeleChris2

TeleChris2 New Member

I have tried that one also. Pushed hard in all directons. Didn't move the slightest.

11. TeleChris2

TeleChris2 New Member

That sounds very reasonable indeed. I will try it on Monday.
    Thanks!

12. HEYHOLETSGO

HEYHOLETSGO Active Member

You might have cleaned it. I'm having breakfast.

Alan22 likes this.
  13. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select