Wall Mounting a TV on Plasterboard

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Alan Doherty, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Alan Doherty

Alan Doherty New Member

I'm looking to mount a 40" tv + sound bar on a plasterboard wall with a cantilever bracket which will constantly be at aprox 450mm extension from the fixing point, therefore increasing the weight and load on the wall.

Is this possible without the whole thing ripping itself off the wall with the right heavy duty wall plugs or do I need to do something different?

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

You need to find the stud work or go into further substrate behind if possible such as brick etc, problem arises if the pb has a gap behind ie dab an daub, as the pb will flex with the weight.
    Stud work is the way to go I reckon.

3. As above. We need more info, Alan - what is behind that p'board?

Then we can lead you through some solutions.

But, as you suspect, you cannae have this weight and leverage straight on the p'board itself.

4. Alan Doherty

Alan Doherty New Member

There are 2 fixing points to the wall for a cantilever bracket with a 10° tilt, its in a corner so it'll have to be about 500mm from the wall fixing point. The wall is a standard plasterboard cavity in a new build property so I'm guessing at say 30 to 50mm between that and the brick, maybe more. The bracket will take the weight at full extension of the arm, its the wall that wont. I've got plugs that will take up to 150kg but the wall will not survive it if they are used on their own given the added pressure from the leverage. I was thinking of putting a 10mm thick, 300mmx300mm (or bigger) MDF board on the wall with 8 fixing points to the wall, each with these heavy duty wall plugs and then fixing the bracket to that. What do you think? I'd rather avoid cutting into the wall if I can.

5. The only realistic way you can mount that bracket on to the front surface of the wall without packing between the p'board and the hidden solid wall behind is to first attach - screw an' glue - a solid (18mm thick min) panel on to the front of the p'board that'll span between two wall studs. Then you mount your metal bracket on to that.

Might sound ugly, but it doesn't necessarily have to be - you can bevel the edges of this large panel (it has to be wide enough to catch two studs and slightly taller than the metal bracket) and then paint it wall colour.

Ok, still a bit ugly.

Or else you mark on the p'board where the bracket's actual mounting holes are, choose hefty metal expanding wall bolts (10mm dia?) and long enough to go through the p'board, the gap, and into the wall at least 2 1/2", and then cut some strong metal sleeves that'll take these bolts. Cut the sleeves to the length of the distance betwixt the solid wall face and the front face of the p'board (less a couple of mm so's the bracket gets pulled tight.

Then drill through the p'board and into the wall the required depth. Get your sleeves and enlarge the holes in the p'board to take these sleeves snugly. Blow out all the dust, fit the sleeves, mount the bracket, pass through the bolts right in to the wall, and tighten until the bracket is pulled tight against the p'board - hopefully the metal sleeves will prevent them being pulled too far!

Yes, these sleeves do have to be solid - like 3mm walls, ish. Best to accurately measure the depth required (measure all 4 separately 'cos they might vary) and take that to a metal fabricators. I'm sure they'll cut you 4 sleeves for a tenner.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Ooh MDF, that's strong stuff.

7. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Find the centres of the studs. Cut out neatly a large rectangle of plasterboard. Securely fix 2x4 noggings to where the bracket will be, (into the studs and the wall if possible. Refit plasterboard, fill and paint. Whilst you have a large hole, you may want to run a spur up there and your TV cable or coax for a neat finish.

8. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Chippy next door to me said that he drilled a 15mm hole where the screws had to go then cut some 15mm copper pipe to the exact distance from the brickwork to the face of the plasterboard, then drilled and plugged into the brickwork and screwed down on to copper tube. Haven't tried it myself though.

9. The idea is fine, but using copper pipe is suspect - it ain't very strong and could crush.

10. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Yeh, hadn't though of that. And the leverage on a big TV could do that.