Warmaline - what adhesive can I use

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Gerrofski, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Gerrofski

Gerrofski New Member

Hi

Need to hang 3 rolls of Warmaline polystyrene next week. On the rolls it says to use "ready mixed" adhesive ( no other details ). Is there any particular kind or just any one that is suitable for Polystyrene tiles? Cant I just use standard Solvite? Maybe mix in some PVA?

Any advice much appreciated.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do as your advised on instructions, buy a tub of ready mixed suitable for polystyrene. Also seal the wall first with uni bond 5 parts water to 1 part uni and let dry overnight otherwise you may find it comes away. It is so important to follow exactly the instructions, you will have to cross line over the warmaline this is because the polystyrene moves with temperature changes.

3. Gerrofski

Gerrofski New Member

Hi Astra

Many thanks for the reply. I'll take your advice and buy a tub of ready mixed.

Just one question though. I was intending to just line it with 1700 grade paper and paint. Do I still need to cross line first and then line as normal over this, or can I just hang one lot of lining paper vertically? I didn't know that polystyrene was affected by temperature changes and there are no paper hanging instructions with the Warmaline.

Again, any advice much appreciated.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

This is how it's done:
    Seal the wall with Uni bond and let dry.

Paste the wall with the ready mixed adhesive and hang vertically the Warmaline to this. Leave for the recommended time to dry out which I think is 48 hours.

Size over the Warmaline. ( Solvite with a decent splash of the ready mixed stirred together)

Cross line it with say 800 grade, let dry.

Size over this, again let dry and the hang your 1700 grade.

Sounds and is a long winded job, but if it's not done this way all the joints no matter how good they were when you hung the paperWILL open up.

5. Gerrofski

Gerrofski New Member

Hi Astra

Thanks very much for the advice. It's much appreciated, as I would have just papered over the polystyrene as normal and then been pretty hacked off if the joints had subsequently opened up.

I'll be doing as you suggest and hopefully all will be well.

Thanks again.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You will not be sorry with the extra effort when it's finished. Let us know how you get on!

7. Gerrofski

Gerrofski New Member

Ok, phase 1 is now complete and so far, so good.

I've applied the Warmaline to the wall using Solvite Ready Mix adhesive. The whole job turned out to be a lot easier than I anticipated. The polystyrene was surprising easy to work with, using just a straight edge and a sharp blade.

Unfortunately, some of the edges of the polystyrene sheet had been indented while on the roll with the result that there are some gaps in the joints. I assume I can simply fill these with Red Devil Onetime before papering over?

Also you said to cross line with 800 grade. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a problem to use 1200 rather than 800? It's just that I have some spare rolls and thought this might give a better base for the top layer.

Cheers

8. Gerrofski

Gerrofski New Member

Additional question for Astramax :

I have another wall that would benefit from Warmaline but this one has a window. Any tips on the best way of fitting it around the outside edges of the reveal, so that I can still get a clean edge when hanging the top layer? I wondered about using skim bead but at 3mm I suspect that may be too big.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

With the damaged edges, (this is not uncommon) simply overlap the Warmaline and cut through both drops and remove the cut pieces then just butt together.

Thickness of lining paper is not critical, if you have enough 1200 grade use that.

Paste the pieces of Warmaline around the reveal edges and hang the Warmaline up to this. The lining paper will cover the edges nicely at the next stage.

10. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

Its too late to overlap now AM as he has already applied the covering to the wall !

The problem I found when overlapping and cutting is you get beads of polystyrene all over the show and stuck in the adhesive on the wall - its a pig to get rid of them
    :(

It Was Stressful :)

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The reply about cutting with the overlapping method was additional information for future use, I was aware that the warmaline had already been applied to the wall.

The problem you had when overlapping was because your knife edge blade was blunt. I use snap off blades and never had a problem.

12. Gerrofski

Gerrofski New Member

Many thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, I cant emphasise enough, that anyone contemplating using Warmaline, should have a sharp new blade to hand. Anything less and you'll have bits of polystyrene everywhere.

Just back to my previous post, should I be ok to fill the gaps in the seams with Red Devil before cross lining?

Cheers

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How big are these gaps?

If over 3mm, yes, if say 1m to 2mm the lining paper will cope with that size gap.

14. Willy Duwitt

Willy Duwitt New Member

Hi Astra

I guess there are a couple of areas where the gap is between 2 - 3mm, so I'll just fill them.

I'll be cross lining on Sunday, so we should be done and painted sometime next week-end. I'll let you know how it looks.

Thanks again for taking the time to post all the advice. Definitely much appreciated.

Cheers

15. MikeSmith

MikeSmith New Member

Hi,

I've been using ready-mixed paste but find it can tend to unstick however carefully applied and left to fully dry. Has anyone used neat PVA as an adhesive for polystyrene veneer?

I appreciate it is possbly going to be difficult to shift but hopefully I will never need to.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did you prime the wall first with a thinned down mix of the same adhesive!

17. MikeSmith

MikeSmith New Member

Yes I did. The wall is old plaster [ 85 years] which has been painted and subsequently papered many times. I always size walls before re-papering. Because it is an old house with solid brick walls, I am now systematically using polystyrene + heavy-duty lining paper on 'outside' walls prior to papering.

The problem with polystyrene is that it is non-absorbent and therefore using a 'wet' adhesive like a readymix will always seem a little strange. My thinking is that PVA, although similarly waterbased, is a thicker adhesive and more likely to stick faster and not peel away during the endless days of drying.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You must let the primed surface dry overnight before hanging!
    Also better thermal liners available now such as Wallrock Thermal Liner, worth checking out, you have to use the Wallrock adhesive. More expensive than polystyrene veneer but this will out perform it, like any product you pay for what you get.