Washing machine waste pipe size

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by PEAENJAY, Jul 29, 2016.

1. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

I have a very tight corner to run a washing machine waste pipe through a cavity wall using 40 mm solvent weld pipe. Has anyone ever used 32mm ? The run is about 3 1/2 meters long so I could run the 32mm just where it passes through the wall and 40mm for the rest.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Too small in my opinion for that run.

3. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

I am thinking to only use 32mm for about 40 cm and the 40mm for the rest, and put in a tee with access plug in case it blocks. There will only be one washing machine using this line.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't see that would be a problem,such a short length, but can't you enlarge the hole to take a 40mm pipe.

5. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

I have two misaligned holes and no easy way to get in to align them, so a short lenghth of 32mm pipe will save me a day's work.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

Use a larger core drill (50mm),will give you some wiggle room & drill from both sides of wall, can be foam afterwards.:)

7. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

I already have a 50 mm hole but because the hole was started from each side of the cavity wall there is mislignment in the middle and now I cant get a core dril to take out the partial hole from each side. Can't get in with chisels, so using a short section of 32mm pipe will get me out of a problem.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Get a piece of ply ideally 18mm with 50mm hole in it, fix over exsisting 32mm hole, the ply will act as a guide for 50mm core drill, repeat for other side.:)

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

My washing machine - Miele, comes fitted with a 22mm outlet hose. They also supply long extensions of the same size and I have an extra 2m length fitted.

Whilst the drain hose will have water flowing under pressure and the waste pipe will be free flowing , the cross sectional area will be significantly more. For 32mm it will be around 2.5 times. 40mm 4 times and 50mm over 6 times.

The way to find out if 32 and 40 will be adequate would be to do a test run with with water intensive programmes. Just fill the machine, then terminate the programme and allow it to pump out.

One hint for next time: Get a 400mm long 8mm masonry bit and drill right through, then core from both sides using the 8mm hole for the pilot. You should come out within a couple of mm.

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same way.:)

11. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Trouble is it wont take a 32mm pipe long to become enctusted with soap and fibres from the washing machine.

12. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

refer to BS/EN 12056 part 2 for pipe sizes, gradients and flow rates, you may find that a 32mm pipe installed at an increased gradient will take the flow rate from the washing machine. check washing machine instructions for flow rate and compare with table in BS/EN 12056

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That was my concern, but thought as it is only a 400mm length of 32mm, he might get away with it, but I would be better if 40mm pipe was used for the complete run.

14. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

You also need an air gap where the WM stand pipe enters the waste (32mm tube almost plugs it).

15. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

Where did you get the extension hose from? I've been looking for a while and only found one for 18mm.

16. Pollowick

Direct from Miele ...

17. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

That sounds expensive.

18. Pollowick

It was not cheap, however it came with the joint to connect to the existing and is of decent quality unlike most around. If you spend over £1000 on a washing machine with a good warranty that will last 15 years (or more) then what would you call expensive?