Washing pully system

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Paul Otter, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

I have to hang something called a "pullymaid" (ever seen those Victorian laundry racks which live in the ceiling of the kitchen in big houses) from a plaster board ceiling which has no timber fixings where I need them.

My plan is to fix a length of 2 by 1 to the board with toggle fixings and the pulley to that, anyone got any other ideas? The total load is around 16KG.

Cheers

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

16kg... plus the weight of what's going to be on it?

I think I'd be making sure that you got into timber above somehow... perhaps make a wooden frame that does go into the fixings and then fix the pully gubbins to that frame.
    I fear that just toggle fixings in the plasterboard will end in tears. It's not just the weight, but the operation of the pully is bound to cause some movement in the holes.

I'll get me caot and let the pros advise now!

Best of luc,

Regards,

Cando

3. Would fit 2 pieces of 2x1 across two joists approx 20" long at the distance apart you need the fixings.
    You could make a bullnose to sides and end or just take the aris off the 2x1.

4. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

Thanks for the reply, the problem is that this section of ceiling is only around 800 wide and seems to only be fixed to battens fixed to the walls so no joists are available.

5. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

It has to fix to something solid. as it is it won't do. The ceiling will have to be exposed to find something to fix to.
    then its the actual workability of it in position. will it function easily and properly etc.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Fixing to that board will look nice when you finish, however once the rack at 16kg plus the washing which will be wet id fitted, then the user has to pull with the same force as the total weight and there is suddenly maybe 80 kg on the pulleys. Would you trust that to a couple of toggle fixings in plasterboard? And how well is the plasterboard fixed?

Can you get above the ceiling and fix some additional timbers to the wall? Or strengthen the battens and their fixings and then put battens across?

7. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

Sadly no, its a roof

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

What about some nicely finished 50x35 battens on the two walls right up at the ceiling level - well fixed in place. Cut a couple of notches in the top of them and put two cross battens in , then fix to those.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Knock a 3" x 2" hole in each side wall and slide 3x2 into them(or up to 4x2 holes and timber). Fix from sideways movement with screw into plasterboard side battens. Refill 3x2 wall holes to neaten. Might want to paint 3x2 first.

Fix stuff to that.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How big is the ceiling/room area? Do you have the means and height to build a suspended ceiling lower than the original?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looking the pullymaid site, the max loading is 18kg, but knowing females allow abit more, box weight is 6Kg, so look at around 30Kg total loading,I would go for a false ceiling, 3x2 bearer fixed to each wall, attach 3x2 joists using jiffy hangers or similar face Fix Hanger. then plasterboard.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  12. Otter, any chance of a quick sketch to show the ceiling width and how the bracket will be fixed to it - directions?

But, in short, you'd be nuts to try this without proper reinforcing.

Assuming you mean something like this? 1733b92770a6b56ffe7808e80b828874.jpg

And you were going to fit a length of 2 x 1 in the same direction?

Two things to bear in mind - one is it'll be heavier - with damp clothes - than you think. And t'other is that it'll be subjected to a dynamic load which will include the friction on the rollers and this will - oooh - double the effective load?

Only kidding. It'll triple it...

Short of false ceilings or cutting into the exiting to install studs and stuff, I'd suggest two options similar to what you were thinking yersel. One is a significantly wider timber than 2x1 - say at least 4" wide by a goodly 1" thick, and extending a goodly 9" further beyond each pulley fixing - nicely bevelled all around using a plane, and then attached to the ceiling using toggles or expanding fixings (see other thread) but ensuring that the chosen fixings don't protrude out from the ceiling surface (or very slightly rebate in to the timber). This is so that the timber sits dead tight against the ceiling.

Then you glue it to the ceiling as well - using probably PVA. A good thick coating covering right up to the edges. Brace and fix down, and wipe away all extruded PVA with a damp cloth.

This is essential for a couple of reasons - the first is to spread the timber's pull on to all the p'board it's on, and also to prevent any movement. I may have mentioned this before, but MOVEMENT spells the death-knell for any p'baord fixing.

Allow a couple of days to set.

That will hold a shed-load, because you'd literally have to pull down the whole ceiling to break it. It will be very strong - but you'd still have to use your judgement when 'pulling' - if the ceiling p'board is visibly flexing, then you may have problems.

The other option is similar but stronger. Use two timbers of the same profile as before (eg 4+ x 1) but this time run them width-wise, from each side of your 800mm ceiling width. Obviously positioned to take a pulley fixing each.

Again fixed AND PVA'd in place. You might even be lucky and catch studs running along the ceiling corners so can use a couple of wood screws through each end of the timbers where they butt the walls.

This will be significantly stronger as the p'board will also be stronger towards the sides, and you are spreading the whole load further too.

But it will rely on the timbers being fully bonded to the ceiling.

13. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

[​IMG]

a wall to wall fixing seems the safest option

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Use a dehumidifier too to help remove excessive moisture from the clothes. We use one and it also speeds up drying.

15. Ooooh - that looks beautiful :)

16. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas, in the end they gave up on the idea!

17. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I have fitted one in my utility. Sheilas Maid. Takes a very strong arm to hoist it up when fully loaded. The force would me more like lifting 40kg dead weight. Looks great and works a treat though.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Ah, quote too high then!

;)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really