Water based gloss/caulk

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by CGN, Mar 4, 2017.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just wondering what everyone's using regarding water based gloss?
    Doing a spot of work soon on the GF's flat and looking at how the rest of the woodwork has yellowed that I painted 2 years previous. I would like to think that I'll do it once more, then not have to do it again!

Also, had a slight problem recently with caulk cracking. Not so much gaps opening up, but paint 'crazing' when drying out. Caulk had been left over night to dry and not put on too thickly...any thoughts?
    Cheers all :)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    CGN likes this.
  3. proby

proby Active Member

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Dump your GF in 2 years:)

CGN likes this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Good plan Chippie...will save a small fortune :D

chippie244 likes this.
  6. proby

proby Active Member

A coat of Zinsser bin should stop the crazing. I've tried jonhnstones Aqua gloss, Dulux and Bedec not much between them Bedec might just have it. None have the sheen level of oil though.

Astramax and CGN like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Crown Fast Flow is very good as it flows out very well and dry's with minimal brush marks, I am told the improved flow is due to a small amount of oil in the mix, used it in my hall last year and can't complain, it is 'White' not 'Brilliant White' but not really a problem. Caulk varies a great deal, at the moment I am using Brewers Premium Grade Caulk which is not a weak mix it is damp rather than wet and claims can be overpainted in an hour after application.....I have had no problems with it cracking.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    proby and CGN like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never used Bedec gloss, but Fastflow has a very high sheen.

proby likes this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Might try that. Was thinking of keeping a spray can handy to put a bit on angle beads when I've finished plastering to help paint adhere on corners. The only thing I can think off is that the paint film is too thick or perhaps a bit of dust. May try a quick wipe with a damp cloth 20 mins before painting. It's annoying because it doesn't always do it, but even changing brand of caulk hasn't helped!

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What brushes are best Astra? Also, is it best to undercoat again, or just scuff up with a pad?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Purdy Monarch brushes and I did use the Fast Flow undercoat although I believe you can get away with a quick scuff up.

CGN likes this.
  12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Cheers mate :)

13. proby

proby Active Member

Damn that's another gloss I'm going to have to try now.
    The crazing can be a bit hit and miss like you say dosnt happen all the time, just when it's going to be noticeable. Spray can is worth a try I tend to get the bin when screw fix have an offer on.

CGN likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good quailty synthetic brushes,using Purdy Sprig Elite mainly,& a couple of Wooster.

CGN likes this.
  15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The Fast Flow gloss finish is like an oil base gloss.............I have to wear dark glasses indoors now!;):D

CGN likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I now find my photochromic glasses darken slightly in the hallway here, after doing doors & woodwork in fastflow.

CGN and Astramax like this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As is a damp sponge.

CGN likes this.
  18. proby

proby Active Member

I was given a Purdy sprig to try a wile back nice brush.

19. richhand

richhand Member

KIAB how would rate Crown fastflow against other brand that you have used but in water based satin? Regarding brush marks really. I'm thinking of trying it for a tenanted property assuming it won't mark as easy and less brush marks are a bonus

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Did use one other waterbased gloss, name escapes me, wasn't impress with it,but Fastflow is totally different, got a rather good finish with it & I'm no decorator, but it's important to lay off in one direction.Going to try spraying some panel doors when warmer with fastflow,& see how it compares with using a mini roller.

Astra is the pro, he better at answering your question.:)

CGN likes this.