Water-based undercoat and primer under gloss

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by upnorth, Jun 28, 2007.

1. upnorth

upnorth New Member

Hi folks
    I'm sure it's been asked before, but...

I have a water-based undercoat and primer (combined, quick dry) and am thinking of painting a couple of coats onto a bare wood door before putting on eggshell gloss.

The technical department at the paint manufacturers have told me it will give as good and as hard a finish as if I were to use oil-based primer, then oil-based undercoat then the eggshell, but then half of them don't know their *rse from their elbow, most have never touched a paintbrush, and all of them are paid to sell their paints, so I'm asking you lot.

What's the verdict? Is it worth me waiting for the mega-slow drying times of the oil-based primers, or shall I just get on with it cos it won't make much odds anyway.

Thanks in advance
    upnorth

2. britishblue

britishblue New Member

before putting on eggshell gloss

Which is it eggshell or gloss, it can't be both?

Suggest you ask the paint manufacturer of the eggshell or gloss, rather than the manufacturer of the primer/undercoat. They have no reason to lie to you.

BB

3. handyman.

handyman. New Member

dulux (non trade) have a water based undercoat and oil based gloss weathershield system.........

I would think the combi should be ok.

4. upnorth

upnorth New Member

thanks bb and handyman.

Rang dulux and they said stick with oil on oil, unless using the bespoke paint system you mentioned, handyman.

It takes so damn long to dry though - how on earth do you guys fit painting bare doors into a job using oil based paints? I'm doing one coat primer, one undercoat, and two eggshell. If I do one side at a time (door lying on trestles), we're talking days to paint one door?

What's the trick?

Thanks
    upnorth

5. britishblue

britishblue New Member

A professional painter is unlikely to remove the door, place on trestles and paint one side at a time. They would be unable to earn a living.

Why can't you paint the doors in situ?

BB

6. upnorth

upnorth New Member

see your point, BB.
    I had to take the doors off to strip years of nicotine off them and shorten those where tiles were replacing lino. Also hinges needed replacing.
    upnorth

7. jcts

jcts Active Member

yeah if you don't want to put undercoat you can just put primer and topcoat on. i would give it a primer and a good rub down, fill, spot the filler with primer, then prime at least another 2 times giving a light rub down in between coats. then put your topcoat on. i would put 2 on to make sure it's covered but it might look ok if you put the primer on thick enough.

also in regards to the finish it's eggshell or gloss, not both. you could put satin finish on it, it's quicker drying than gloss or eggshell, and looks more modern. also a painter wouldn't take the doors off, that way you can paint both sides in the same day

8. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Upnorth, if we assume you want a reasonable finish (not a top class one) and you want to do the job as quickly as poss.

As this is an internal door, there is no need to use a separate primer, a primer/undercoat will be fine.

First of all you need to rub down the door and knot it. Don't miss out the knotting or you will regret it. Do not sand down the doors after knotting.

Put on 2 to 3 coats of water based primer to get a good base for you final coat and cover the colour of the wood

Very lightly sand the undercoats with say 180 grade just to get the nibs etc off

Dust down the door and put a coat of water based eggshell/satinwood/gloss. Job done

If you paint the door indoors in a reasonably warm room you should finish the job in a day (even if you use an oil based finish coat

There is no problem in using an oil based finish coat on top of water based undercoat

A word of caution though. Water based finsih coats are not as hard wearing as oil based, and any satinwood (oil or water based) tends to mark more easily than gloss, especially with metal objects like coat hangers rubbed against them

9. jcts

jcts Active Member

oh yeah forgot to say about the knots!