Water filter

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Coloumb, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Hey Guys, if I fit a water filter like this

http://www.screwfix.com/p/high-capacity-water-filter-kit-10/16747

do I still have to have a separate tap for the unfiltered water. I want to fit it on the existing kitchen tap, which is the only one in the house connected to the rising main, except the outside tap, but I guess that wouldn't count. :p

If not could I rig up a bypass valve + pipework to go round it when not in use?

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Op..I have been using a 5 stage Reverse Osmosis system for about 10 years.
    Lovely 99% pure water and great tasting.
    The filter change is dependent upon time and through flow.
    If you just want to get some filtration and nicer tasting water for drinking/tea coffee...I would advise a 2 stage unit.
    The first stage can be a 5 mic particulate filter(sand/bits etc)//then the activated carbon filter will last longer and better.
    I would not filter water for washing up etc.....fit a dedicated tap for the filtered drinking water.
    Hope this helps
    RS

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

You would be surprised what the pre particulate filter looks like after 12 month...!!!!
    Rotten !
    Rs

5. ashtreefarm

ashtreefarm New Member

Your point about "I want to fit it on the existing kitchen tap, which is the only one in the house connected to the rising main",
    You may want to consider connecting the bathroom basin etc. to the rising main if you are worried about drinking water quality.

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Hey Guys - thanks for the answers BUT what I was really looking for is this; is there an actual water reg that says you must have a separate tap fitted that is directly connected to the mains that DOES NOT have any sort of filtering device connected to it. Shed. 26 of the The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 state...

26. All premises supplied with water for domestic purposes shall have at least one tap conveniently situated for the drawing of drinking water.

So it's not very clear. From my pov I really don't want to have to put in a second, unfiltered, tap above the kitchen sink. All I can find is some gumph about this not being a good idea if your using water softening kit as you can end up with too much sodium in the water. Even that is only guidance.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Anyone?

8. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Hi
    What are trying to achieve?
    Softened water? Scale reduced water? Filtered water?

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

10. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Ok

It's for potable water application fit for consumption,
    It's approved by building control,
    I see no issue

11. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Oh ok,

If you use a water softner the water is no longer potable, the regs may use the term filter back in 1999 but this I assure you is a softner,
    The filter you intend to use is perfectly fine, they are common on most fridges etc, if in doubt contact your local water authority for assurance of product compliance

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

i'm thinking of buying one of these unit also, is this any good?

13. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

RS- how often do you have to change all the filters etc in your fancy RO filter? Wanted to get one for my fish tanks but haven't really looked into it yet...and roughly how long would it take to fill a 20 ltr bucket? I've got a 200ltr tank but only a 20ltr bucket to fill it n empty or with lol

14. Coloumb, is this for yourself?

Yes? Then chust do it :)

(But it does make sense from an economy point to have a separate tap for drinking water. Are there still issues with using these filters beyond their time limit - ie a build-up of bacteria inside them? I think I recall this being reported as a n issue when they first came out - decades ago... :oops:)

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I did, back in late April :cool::p:)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.