Water Meter / Stopcock Problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Fordy, May 31, 2015.

1. Fordy

Fordy New Member

Tried to replace a tap today but the stopcock to the left of the meter will not shut off the water. There is a lesser flow when turned clockwise, but still significant enough to have pressure.

2 questions:
    1) Any way to resolve this easily?
    2) If it needs repairing - whose responsibility would it be? Household or United Utilities?

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

This meter is inside or outside not very clear, if outside your property then it's United Utilities job to sort the problem.
    You should also have a stopcock outside your property somewhere usually on the pavement.

3. Fordy

Fordy New Member

Thanks. It'd be a shared stopcock - so would shut off water to several houses - but in any case woudl the stopcock not need repairing in case of future leaks?

4. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

• I would say United utilities as that stoptap is integral to the water meter.
    • KIAB The meter is built into the wall in a meter box, I have the same in my house which is 16 years old.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well,I never seen them built into a wall, have seen them surface mounted on a wall.

Yes it will need replacing/repairing, seems strange to have several houses connected to one water meter. Usually every house have their own stopcock/ meter in the pavement or somewhere else.

6. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Fordy is there a shut off point on the inside exactly behind the meter as there is on mine and it can be shut off from either inside or outside.

7. Fordy

Fordy New Member

Hi. Apologies - the meter is outside the house in a recessed meter box. There is no further stop-cock inside the house but I have found one a coulple houses up that looks like a branch that will shut off my section of 5 houses.
    I'll get permission from other hosues to shut off from the main stop cock and call United in the morning to see whose issue it is re: my damaged meter.

Thanks for the help all.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

In an emergency, it's a bit of a kerfuffle to have to go outside, open up the box(with a key?) find the key to turn the tap, and all to stop the water flooding your house!!!!!! Innit?

I thought every house had to have an immediately accessible stoptap inside?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Yes Handy, I must agree. Surely every house has their own stopcock. o_O

10. Derek.K

Derek.K New Member

As a rule of thumb, the utility companies are responsible for everything up to and including your meter.