Water pressure in Boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by koolpc, Oct 14, 2015.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thanks. He said there was hardly any pressure in the vessel. In the beginning he said no, it wasn't the vessel its a leak in the pipework. I was miffed and said about the vessel. Obviously when he turned the system on again it went up and over 3 bar quite quickly, something i hadn't noticed even though i knew it went up high.

I had looked outside for any water evidence but you know how quick a few drops can dry up. But looking at the render on the bottom of the wall we could see (pointed out by the gas guy) that it was slightly darker!! Always worth taking a close look from now on!! You could see it was wet there on closer inspection!

To think, i have been having this issue for years!!! A few plumbers (British Gas) have always said 'Oh, you got a leak in the pipework mate'. None of them ever checked the vessel!!!

So glad i phoned them yesterday and moaned about the vessel!! Hope it is cured now!

Cheers people

2. Cool - that's why it's often good to be informed as much as poss before calling out the 'pros'...

The reason you didn't notice the water coming out the discharge pipe is that is only happens in one gulp shortly after the boiler heats up from cold and the pressure hits 3 bar and the safety valve opens. After that the pressure drops to below 3 bar, the valve closes and the water stops coming out - until the next time you top it up and fire up the boiler again. So it isn't a steady trickle you would notice.

Fingers crossed.

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You guys have been awesome on here! Great advice and help. Superb. Cheers

4. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

What BG call a service and most gas engineers call a service are 2 very different things and a system service is another thing all together

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

What got me is that i pay monthly for a service and yet obviously he didn't check the expansion vessel and just put it down to a leak in the pipework! I am thankful for this site as i did do a bit of research before hand.

I had visions of ripping up my flooring to check all the pipes or, re-routing all the pipework!

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Guys, water pressure has been dropping! Had to top it up nearly 1 bar today! Could it point to a faulty vessel?

7. Possibly chust a knack'd pressure release valve - they tend to keep dripping after they've been opened by excess pressure.

Keep an eye on that discharge pipe. In fact, loosely tie a plastic bag over it and see if it collects any water.

Failing that, call the darlings back...

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thanks. I have noticed that the pressure has not gone over 1.5 bar though?

9. DNR Plumbing

Wants to be closer to 1 bar any more isn't needed at all and is only putting excess strain on the whole system

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

When the system is in operation?

Guy changed the valve and put a new one on when he was here

11. DNR Plumbing

1 bar cold should raise to 1.2-1.4 bar hot

12. Kool, the guy replaced the PRV?

In which case, as the system pressure hasn't gone higher than 1.5bar since then, we can 'assume' it isn't allowing any water loss. But the only way to confirm is to tie a bag over the 15mm copper outlet.

If your system keeps losing pressure, and nothing is coming oot that pipe, then you may well have a leak somewhere... :(

Possibly.

The way to check for that is to take note of how much pressure you lose, say, overnight. Then top back up to the original pressure and shut off the flow and return valves under the boiler - the ones that go to your CH system. MAKING SURE THE BOILER IS FULLY SHUT OFF FOR THE DURATION.

Essentially, if you have a pressure loss when these valves are open but not when they're closed, you can pretty much say there's a leak in your rad system.

13. Alain Smith

Alain Smith New Member

Hiya all
    I have a gloworm system boiler together with a Gledhill high pressure cylinder tank and there seems to be a problem currently with the pressure as it seems to drop below 1 bar after a couple of weeks and this happened several times now
    I had the engineer over this weekend and he spent hours trying to identify the loss of pressure but because it is such a small amount being lost every day he could not find the leak if any.
    We also checked the safety discharge pipe and nothing was coming out of there.
    Will keep looking over the next few weeks anyway....

By the way I work as an Architectural Designer in residential , and am an expert in dealing with planning matters and preparing drawings/plans for loft conversions, kitchen extensions, or any other type of extensions, etc.
    I am very competitive on price and offer a very good price for a complete design package.
    evolvedesign2 . co . uk
    Please do check out my website for more info and get in touch
    Am operating in the South London area and Surrey, or Kent areas.
    Free quotes and free surveyor inspection/feasability visit

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thanks guys.

I have topped it up to 1 bar cold. It currently sits at approx 1.5bar when heating on.

So, if it goes down again could it still be the expansion vessel even though it might not go over 1.5bar?

15. No, if the pressure doesn't rise above 1.5 bar, then that is fine (tho' personally I'd rather see a smaller increase betwixt cold and hot).

And there shouldn't be any overall pressure loss due even if the pressure hits 2 bar or slightly more - your system should remain 'sealed' up to 3 bar - that's when the PRV opens.

So, you either have a leaking PRV (check that pipe outlet) or leak elsewhere.

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Ok.

Its constant at 1.5 Bar when system on.

Will see what it falls too when i check in the morning. Just hope its not a leak in the pipework which is all hidden under the floors (Suspended wooden floor with laminate on).

Guy did put leak sealer in system but depends how big etc the leak is! He did say i may have to top it up a bit more and to be prepared for that of which i have recently done.

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Update:

Been several days now and the pressure has remained the same.

18. I could not be more happy.

(But, then again, I am on my second bourbon...)

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Cheers. I am on my 2nd bottle of wine!

20. Bludy drunkard...