Water Smells

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Hanibelle, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Hanibelle

Hanibelle New Member

I have a problem with the water outlets in our house. There is a horrible smell coming from the shower trap and the sink plug holes. The drains are not clogged as this has been checked
    Any suggestions?

2. HarryL1234

HarryL1234 Screwfix Select

Are your traps running dry? When you run water in your sink and shower, does the smell go away or does it persist?

If the property is in regular use and the traps are drying out, then the likely cause is siphoning, usually when a toilet is flushed. Fitting anti-siphon traps would be a solution.

LearnMore and Mark DM like this.
  3. Hanibelle

Hanibelle New Member

It started a couple of weeks ago. Time to call a plumber

LearnMore likes this.
  4. LearnMore

LearnMore Well-Known Member

Yep, could be a host of things.

5. Ruth Pike

Ruth Pike New Member

hi Hannibelle. I’m having the same problem and the plumber is saying I just need to use the shower but it’s been 3 weeks and the smell keeps coming back every day and I’m using the bathroom (newly fitted) every day. did you get an answer?

Any response you have would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I’m being fobbed off by the bathroom fitters and it’s so upsetting as we spent all our savings getting the new bathroom.

6. LearnMore

LearnMore Well-Known Member

Do you know if the shower has a trap fitted and is it of adequate size?

HarryL1234 likes this.
  7. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

When my new shower was fitted it stank the whole bathroom out, the trap was drying out and letting the drain smell into the bathroom, the water in the trap keeps the smell from the drains getting out, my problem was the cup inside the trap not sitting right, this left the cover sitting too high creating a nice air way for the trap to dry out, pushed the cup in and cover down and no stink since, if you are lucky it could be that simple.

LearnMore likes this.