Water tanks

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by zik, Jan 16, 2017.

1. zik

zik New Member

Hi guys, I've just joined your forum and I thought you might be able to help me out with a problem im having with the flat roof on the over 50 year old building I live in. The main problem i have is that my neighbours have placed their water tanks on my roof "being the last floor" with the buildings flat roof directly above my flat. I've calculated a total weight of 9000 liters or 9 tons of water reservoirs placed where they shouldnt be on my side of the building. They happen to be located over the bedrooms and I am worried about the damage they are causing or could cause in case of an earthquake for example. Its difficult to find alternate space for the water tanks. Any ideas in how to minimize the damage/weight of these tanks? I've researched the net for solutions and it seems as if im the only one on the planet with this problem lol. I'd like to avoid going down the legal path if possible as I dont want to get into issues with residents/ landlord

Thanks in advance

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Whereabouts in the world are you Zik? I'm guessing you're not in the UK but welcome along :)

3. zik

zik New Member

Beirut Lebanon mate

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Not sure of your water supply performance, but my first thoughts are, ...

How many apartments are in the building?

In uk we would say cold water storage is around 200 lt, per dwelling,?

If you calculate the water storage is far too high, simply lower the water levels?

Regards
    Peter

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

If you can relocate the tanks as close to the edges as possible

6. zik

zik New Member

due to water shortages in summer people tend to have bigger tanks. Its 6 flats

7. zik

zik New Member

Hi, they already are, is that a good thing?

8. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi again,
    Is it possible to have storage on the ground floor, with a pump set supplying water to smaller roof tanks?

I have installed large underground/ basement tanks, that supply roof tanks for 10 story blocks of 40 flats.

If that's not possible, and the stored water is essential, the weight is not negotiable!

It's an issue of the building's Structual integrity.
    How many stories is the building?

Photo of building possible?

Regards
    Peter

9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Better than being in the middle of the roof