Water the Bain of my life

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Spinyadas, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Spinyadas

Spinyadas New Member

Brought house in chesterfield and new the kitchen was a bit damp as could see seeping pipes etc but when took kitchen out found a push fit connection ( which I have now connected correctly)leaking on boiler that has rotter floorboards and joists etc. so preparing to replace joists thought mop water out and remove debris from under floor. Let dry but water seems to keep appearing and pooling it's a raft type construction there were a lipless bricks removed where main water feed comes in that I have filled and sealed with concrete. The only other issue is the garden slopes down to this external wall is it likely to just be water from garden seeping through as I am aware raft construction is not water tight so do I just live with it knowing there plenty air flowin through or do I look at going down road of sump pumps any suggestions welcome the raft floor is 1200 mm below floor joists.

2. 1.2m void, plenty of ventilation and a sound DPC - you should have no problems.

3. Spinyadas

Spinyadas New Member

Is it quite common? And is it just off garden or high water table ? We had quite a lot rain last night

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

very possibly - have you go any arrangement designed to divert the garden run off around the perimeter of your house, rather than allowing it to soak through the founds - such as a French drain ?

5. Spinyadas

Spinyadas New Member

We have discussed and be quite difficult to run it anywhere other than neighbours garden but maybe a bit if a soak away is what we were thinking to just try stop some of it but thanks

6. Assuming that the water under your floor is from external sources and not from your leaking pipe (that would be some leak...), the fact that the only rot you've found has been due to that faulty pipe fitting tells you that the rest of your under-floor is fine.

I assume the pooling water level is still below outside ground level and not above?!

What are your vent bricks like - how many and where located? If on opposite sides of the house, are there nice open gaps to allow a through-flow in any dwarf walls under your floor?

7. Spinyadas

Spinyadas New Member

Well I am confident its not from a leaking pipe I have isolated on the road and the water has still come through. yes the pooling water is well below ground level about a metre maybe 900mm. The vent bricks are definitely clear and there are 2 or 3 bricks on each side of house so that's 6 to 9 airbricks. the dwarf walls have gaps in them I am planning on making a few more gaps so I can get round under floor easily.

8. Cool. Wear a wetsuit...

Have a good look whilst you're down there for any other signs of nasties - check especially where joists lay on dwarf walls, and also where the joists sit on the outside walls. If these are ok, I think you can be confident all else is too.

9. Spinyadas

Spinyadas New Member

Ok thanks very much for your advice it is really appreciated.

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

whatever you do you need to speed up the flow of water away from your property, especially the upward side - so the last thing you want is a soakaway - even if you have to create a drain channel and collection system on top of the raft found through to the front and away from the house

11. Spinyadas

Spinyadas New Member

I have had a bit of a thought to put a French drain in and a place where I can run it away but would have to be about 3 meters up garden to be able to get it somewhere which while it won't completely get rid it would surely reduce the water level down and if I then monitor and if required I will dig a sump pump into it to pump out if required. The problem is at front and back the the land runs down into the house. To be honest I thought being we near top of a hill water would be the the last of my worries I just assumed it would run down the hill shows how stupid I am lol