Weatherproofing plywood

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by KaKTy3, Jan 20, 2017.

1. KaKTy3

KaKTy3 New Member

Hi! A complete DIY newbie here, so please be gentle:

I am building a makeshift weightlifting platform for outside use, and the centrepiece of that is two 18mm thick 2440x1220 sheets of plywood screwed together for stability. I've purchased "Hardwood Throughout External (WBP) Plywood EN636-3S", but I now realise that it needs to be treated somehow to safeguard it from the elements.

Given I do not care about the looks, but purely want to avoid it absorbing moisture, rotting or deforming in any other way, what would be the easiest solution to treat it, please?

Ideally, I would want something I can pick up from my local B&Q, as there is one pretty much next door. I would also very much prefer something that does not require 24h drying, as I want it all done tomorrow (the urgency is strong with this one).

Thanks very much in advance and sorry to trouble you with something so trivial ;)

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Should have bought it last week then.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

24 hour drying isn't going to happen especially outside at this time of year, Wickes sell a clear wood preservative which I have used for prevention of insect attack, wet rot, dry rot etc cost circa £14 for 2.5ltr. Maybe something like Thompsons Water Seal would suit but would need time to dry.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You really need to seal the end grain to stop delamination as well as a preservative.

tore81 likes this.
  5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

And you will need some anti slip on it if you plan on standing in it.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How about Astro Turf! Could look good as well.

wiggy likes this.
  8. KaKTy3

KaKTy3 New Member

'Tis a valid point!

Thanks, I'll look into these.

What about something like Ronseal line of wood stains, either for decking or external doors? No bueno?

And what would one use for the said action of sealing?

I am indeed. Most weightlifting platforms use lacquered ply or some hardwood, so it's not usually an issue.

Like so:
    [​IMG]

9. KaKTy3

KaKTy3 New Member

Astro turf wouldn't work too well, as it has too much give, which you don't want under heavy load. Most people use horse stall mats for that reason, but I went with some gym flooring (also non-compressible like stall mats), as I managed to get some on during Christmas sale.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

9ft x 5ft rubber sheeting.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Ronseal oil based and them some deck grip on top of that or as astra said Astor turf or rubber matting. Ply outside will become an ice rink in no time.

12. KaKTy3

KaKTy3 New Member

I've got the ply already (got delivered today), so I need to make work with what I've got. Should have probably gone for something that was treated to begin with, but as I said, I am a newbie with these things...

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Oil based paint, silicon, anything to stop water being wicked up the end grain.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yer, only 3 weeks drying time in this weather!

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Stalker :D:D:D

16. KaKTy3

KaKTy3 New Member

Thanks. Would this work: Ronseal Natural Decking Oil? Says it's "rainproof" in two hours and can be given another recoat in six.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Possibly but you don't get as much end grain on decking as you do on ply. The quickest would be silicon and it's cheap but it couldn't be over painted.

18. KaKTy3

KaKTy3 New Member

Sorry, I was thinking more broadly, i.e. using this Ronseal Oil on the surface, as well as to seal the sides (as you suggested).

I am not bothered by not being able to overpaint, so assume a tub of the cheapest multi-purpose silcione sealant will do the trick to seal the sides, correct?

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Slap it on.
    If you're sticking the 2 sheets together you also need to seal between the 2 to stop water being drawn in by capillary action, a good application of silicon will do this as well.

20. KaKTy3

KaKTy3 New Member

Perfect, thanks for your help. I'll coat them both on one side first, then turn around in two hours or so, cover the other side and then after two hours screw them together, and then seal with silicone on the sides. Should do the trick (he says crossing his fingers).