Weed free sand?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by teabreak, Aug 15, 2017.

1. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hi , Has anyone used the weed free sand on driveway blocks please?
    Most DIY chains sell similar products to replace the kiln sand between blocks and stop weeds getting a hold.
    Reviews seem to be mixed. Not sure if they use a weed killer or as one site suggested are very low in nutrients to discourage growth.
    Some give 5 star reviews while others say it is useless, it might depend on location, if seeds and nutrients are regularly washed onto the drive I guess nothing will work for long.
    Anyway any advice or recommendations would be welcome!
    Ta!:)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't see how it will work,weeds can thrive anywhere, so waste of money I say.

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

About as useful as weed free soil.

KIAB likes this.
  4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks Guys, more or less what I thought, if it seems too good to be true.....................;)

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Reminds me of this...fructose as a sugar substitute!!!

[​IMG]

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you imagine mixing sand with powdered(or granuled) weed-killer, then every time it rains, it gets activated - that's a possibility(til it's used up).

7. powerst

powerst Member

I've just redone my driveway and used one from B&Q that said it sets hard. Brushed it all in on Monday night and as it rained overnight it had hardened by Tuesday evening.

So I'm hopeful that this should make it harder for the weeds to take hold.

Can't find it on the website but it was £10.52 a bag. I'll try and get a pic of the bag later. I bought 10bags but only used 4 and a bit.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

But not be all bunkum then, if it sets hard (probably contains cement?) and I've just read it has a high PH value which lasts for many years.

9. powerst

powerst Member

yep, I'm pretty sure it has cement in there, you could see a very fine, faint bit of grey. Also the instructions say to turn the bag over a few times to mix it.

I did make sure that once the stuff was in the joints that I thoroughly swept all remaining dust off the drive. Took about 3 painful hours.

My drive is old so I wasn't overly concerned. Time will tell if it's any good, but it looks nice for now.

teabreak likes this.