Were my Veluxes done right?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dogfox2, Jul 4, 2016.

1. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

Hi all

I had a ground floor rear extension built one year ago (with Building Regs sign off!). Three velux windows span the pitched roof of this new extension.

Alas there is now internal water damage affecting only two out of the three veluxes (see pics). In both cases damage is top corners only, the bottoms are fine. So did my builder fit the windows wrong?

The other factor is that a gutter broke along the main roof one floor up: this forced lots of water down onto the highest point of the new pitched roof, roughly halfway between the two veluxes now showing the water damage. Veluxes aside, there is also some water damage internally above the veluxes reflecting the gutter break.

So how can I know whether it was the gutter, or the original velux fitting that caused the problem?

Pictures to show what I mean, thanks in advance!

external.jpg velux-1-close-up.jpg velux-2-close-up.jpg overall-wider.jpg cornerdamage1.jpg cornerdamage2.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Top flashing is fitted wrong,also leakage at top inside, could caused by top gutter not fitted outside,see this linky will show how to fit Velux into a slate roof, shows it better than I can explain.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

2016-07-04 20.10.43.jpg

Do you know if the Blue lined slates go as far back as the Purple line???

If the don't water could get in at the Yellow line points running under the slates but over the membrane, this would get caught at the top point of the Windows possibly leaking into the room below as it appears to be doing.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree, with everything.:)
    I cannot get paint to work here to mark photo like yours Phil.:(

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Slates maybe Marley Thrutone or Cembrit fiber cement at 300x600mm.

Marley recommend 110mm lap.

I would agree with Phil, the top row. You will have to lift the top row of slates off to investigate. There may be lead clips at 450mm spacing to secure lead work (straps).

Other things to check are lead work, i.e how far it has been chased in, up stand measurement (75mm min) and lap (150mm).

Also signs off loose pebble dash.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not fitted a velux, but did fit a velux tunnel. there was a metal gutter provide which had to be fitted with a slope, the felt went into this.

Underfelt is secondary form of defense, so could mean felt may not have been fitted correctly above the windows?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

May as well lift all 3 top rows.

May need to order some copper disc rivets, if you loose sup when reinstating the slates.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got no choice, but to strip it all back & have a nosey.

10. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

OK thanks for all the replies all! I will have a look at both the top row but also the area round the velux itself!

Much appreciated for all your help

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is the roof beyond the ridge tile divide yours as well?

12. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

Nope not mine! Ta

13. Dawg, do you understand wot Phil the P was saying above (#3) about the second row of tiles possibly not reaching under that lead flashing far enough? If you can get up there, it should be easy enough to measure (assuming you know the size of the slates).

It's nigh on impossible for us on here to tell you what's wrong here - we can only speculate. But if a broken gutter sends a cascade of water hammering down on one point of a gently sloping roof, I wouldn't be too surprised if some water was forced well against gravity and found its way in.

It doesn't necessarily mean there's a major construction issue - the water flow was exceptional.

The water causing the marks would appear to have come from above the actual Veluxes, and the obvious culprit is the lead flashing. But, if the damp dries away following the gutter repair, I think I'd be inclined to not worry too much.

Ok, even if some water had been forced past and under the slates, in theory the 'felt' layer should then have directed that over the Velux's flashing and not inside the property. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if this membrane wasn't finished off as neatly as it should have been around there - many roofers consider it a crude and basic '2nd layer of defence' and might not have ensured it had been lapped correctly, and fully, over the flashing.

It doesn't mean it's terribly terribly 'wrong'.

Your call. If it all dries up quickly now the gutter has been fixed, then the chances are you can relax.

If, however, you measure that 2nd row of tiles and realise it's only gong under that lead flashing by an inch or so (if even that), then you do have just cause to call out the builders and insist it's made good. (Tee-hee - you don't even have to tell them there was a broken gutter, just a 'heavy downfall'... :rolleyes: )

14. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

Hi DA

Yes I get Phil, I will check how far that second row of slates extends back.

I think you're right also, I'm temptd to get a roofer to have a look to check everything is ok with slates and area round velux, but concentrate more on the gutter issues and re-decorating internally!

Thanks for the extensive advice, much appreciate!

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  15. Nicola Davis

Nicola Davis New Member

Hi

I’ve just stumbled onto this forum thankfully by luck as I have exactly the same problem with my velux windows with water damage in the same places as shown on this thread. May I ask if you have found the course at all as my roofers are saying it’s condensation and nothing they have done incorrectly. I’m at a total loss.

My pictures are attached.

Any help at all or advice would be so much appreciated as I’m pulling my hair out trying to get to the bottom of this cause.

Attached Files:

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It’s quite possible that it is condensation, I have experienced the exact same scenario in the past after I’d cut a lean to roof on, fitted velux, had boys skim plaster the inside and once the floor was screeded, over the course of a weekend the moisture buildup over the top of the rooflight was incredible, though I can see your setup is a bathroom, so no screed. Roofers came out, removed tiles and sliced the membrane and the buildup of water piddled out. For the record, they look to have done a very nice job on your slates, everything neat and tidy, it appears they have pride so I’d like to think they’d have done your roof lights well.

Two things, what pitch is your roof, and what make and model are your roof lights?

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I only get very small consensatipn on my veluxes after the loft conversio and only forms on the glazing.

Have the same kind of setup with man made slates. Went for an insulated collar as an extra and recessed flashing kit.

Is the window a centre pivot or top hung pne. Shouldnt make a difference, but need closer pictures of the back end. If you are able to get your head out.

Slso check if there looks any stark diffetence between the two leaky ones and the one that aint. Are these two windows positioned near to/ inside the bathroon?

Although nothing looks out of place pn your photos it will be impossible to see under the slates to see if all the flashing and components have been fitted.

Lastly how bad is damp/leak does it only happen in rain?

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

3rd picture could possibly show a missing slate in line with window higher up? On 9th row above window

19. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Simple answer is no, installer could not be bothered to read enclosed instructions.

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That looks like a vent.

Jitender likes this.