Western red cedar or homegrown?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by SWBUILDERS, Apr 16, 2017.

1. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Hi

Has anyone used home grown cedar instead of western red for external cladding? I have had a sample of each from merchants and both seem of decent quality but a few more knots in homegrown but no cupping, I was just wondering if anyone has used it and how it's held up to weathering as I have a job where the budget is tight and western red is double the price

Cheers

2. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Larch is pretty good same durability as cedar, comes in wide boards and is environmentally friendly

4. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Hi yeah the larch sample I got seemed very knotted and had cupped pretty badly and that put the customer off it, poor from the merchant to send a sample piece like that to be honest, you would think they would want to choose the best bit they could find!! So it got to be cedar unfortunately

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

From experience uk stuff will probably have a much higher moisture content so allow extra time to dry it out.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Stupid from the merchant, it would have been a sizeable order. Some of the stuff I have seen people receive - undersize timber 1.7m not 1.8, MDF pre-painted skirting where they put a label towards the centre that pulls the paint off when you remove it, let alone all the warps, twists and shakes.

Still should be a nice job this time of year - not to wet, windy or hot.

7. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

yeah should be hoping they go with the western red to be honest, don't get me started on the regularised timber these days is appalling had 40 3m 6 x 2 lengths last week and about 15 were so bowed and cupped you couldn't even get a decent noggin out of them

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Have you spoken with SILVA Timber ? They are very good for supply of cedar ... I would guess that probably 90% of their business is around cedar. http://www.silvatimber.co.uk/