Wet Room Floor

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by oggy376, May 16, 2015.

1. oggy376

oggy376 Member

Hi all,

In pulling up floor tiles to retile the bathroom I've discovered the tiles in the wet room area are stuck straight to the floor on a slight gradient towards the drain, but no tray. Is this right or should I be thinking about putting a tray in?

IMG_8043.jpg IMG_8045.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I always prefer to use a liner,wet room former/tray,like Marmox ShowerLay Wetroom Shower Tray, can save a lot of grief with leaks,especially if it's a 1st floor room.

3. oggy376

oggy376 Member

Thanks KIAB. Just to add, its ground floor/bungalow, with what looks like a layer of screed over concrete

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I still prefer to use a tray, guaranteed 100% waterproofing, but some will just waterproof the floor & lower walls (tanking) with waterproofer liquid, or use a membrane like 'tilesafe.
    You'll need a slight threshold at the front to contain any water from running out into the rest of the room.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

oggy376 likes this.
  6. oggy376

oggy376 Member

Thanks KIAB, some good advice there :)

7. Steveone

Steveone New Member

Put a floor former in every time. Sometimes you will see this type of set up but it is full of potential pitfalls. What if the falls aren't quite right and it pools? You won't know until it's completed and then it's too late!
    A proper floor former (as long as you fit it level) will always take all of the water to the drain. If you are using vinyl flooring you won't have to tank it. If tiling, you will. Even down stairs on concrete. There are some videos on stepfreewetrooms which might help.

8. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Tank it no probs

Attached Files: