What a frustrating day !

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Fatsteve, May 13, 2016.

1. Fatsteve

Fatsteve Member

Customer called in a leaking pipe from the bog, raced round like **** off a shovel thinking quick job and onto next, her hubby had a go... Feeling smug at his effort to change fill valve. Could i get that batard to stop leaking, wirquim fill valve, put new fibre end of tap con, tightened **** out of it still no joy, got a flomasta wid brass off the van, TOO short to meet tap con geezzz, know i gots a fluidmaster on van somewhere ! 10 mins later banged it in & new fibre wanged it up JOB DONE, moral of tail dont **** about with other valves just use FLUIDMASTER wid d FULL brass tail!

tore81, KIAB and Dave does Gas like this.
  2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    The bottom entry ball valve connection! Almost always a pain, the brass tails are a godsend,

Another get out of jail is the 1/2 female iron to 15mm speedfit!

Needs to have movement on the pipe work tho'

And another trick is to use an O ring in place of the fibre washer?
    No need to over tighten with an O ring

Regards
    Peter

tore81, KIAB and CGN like this.
  3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

They say that in this job you learn somethging new every day, well the O ring trick is my lesson today.
    Thank you Peter, I shall certainly try that next time I cant find that packet of 1/2" fibre washers

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Couldn't you just add on another bit of copper? 15mm straight connecter, end feed job done.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Now that would take effort! :D

The prob is that if your tap connector is not quite square to the fill valve(even though it might look it) the fibre washer doesn't 'give enough' to form a good water tight seal. O ring trick sounds good though...will put that one in my tool kit :)

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sometimes two O ring doubled up also works.:)

tore81 and CGN like this.
  7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I used to drive miles with maintenance and then have a nightmare. The name of the game was get home on time. Someone mentioned the fluid masters to me now I won't fit nothing else.

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't fit anything else.:)

tore81 likes this.
  9. Fatsteve

Fatsteve Member

Naaaa forget o rings.. Wang em up tight... Pulls everything square and no danger working loose... Wanna know how some monkies get away with just ptfe, thought of a callback makes my ******** twitch