What box should this go in?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dominic Baines, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Dominic Baines

Dominic Baines New Member

Need to put a double socket into a utility room.

Sparks said we need to drill a whole through the wall big enough for the plugs and fit the double socket that side but that seems like total nonsense and I don't want a 2-3" hole through the wall or a smaller one and feed the flex through the wall and fit longer leads (washing machine and tumble drier). I understand the sockets need to be covered and as the sockets are in a zone need to have them such that once plugged in and switched on that the only way to get to them is via tool (think that is the reg). Power to the sockets can/should be controlled either by a double insulated switch to one side of the box and all wiring to the box needs to be through metal/earthed conduit?

I was thinking some IP rated box, fit double socket in (maybe even pre-fitted).

This possible?

Dom

2. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

What zone would they be in?

B J

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Does this utility room have a bath or shower installed? I not there are no zones, it's not a "special location" so the sockets can go wherever you want them!

FatHands likes this.
  4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Prob in a swimming pool or something crazy like that.

seneca likes this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Even if there was a bath/shower in the room, couldn't they be hard wired in to a switched fcu like a electric heater Would be in a bathroom.

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I suspect not. Heaters in bathrooms are usually high up so as not to be in zone 1 or 2. And have a string pull cord.

A WM in the bathroom would not have a lead long enough to be wired in that high. Also you could fry yourself operating the controls. If you turn a WM upside down you can often touch live connections. And you know some idiot will.

7. Phil the Paver

Heated towel rails are not high up and the switch is usually just above the skirting board.

8. Dominic Baines

Thanks all, note sure if is in a zone or not as there will be a part stud wall between show and the wm/td units. I'll post a picture tomorrow morning. With dimensions. Dom

9. Dominic Baines

The switch HAD to go outside the room for the other bathroom, that was another discussion.

10. Phil the Paver

That's probably right with today's regs, just throwing ideas out there, you didn't say if the room has a bath/shower or not.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wonder what the leccys think of this.

FCU(or switchedFCU) spur from other room socket, up the wall and over the ceiling to a pullcord(45A) in the utility, down to a cooker outlet box and plate, both appliances hard-wired in there.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Dominic Baines

That was my other suggestion :) But that was not liked either.

I would like the box and a switch to go ABOVE the tumble drier on the wall up in the corner (wm/td leads long enough) in a box.

Yes room has a shower in it.... I need to get the image up for you to see as will make more sense.

Dimensions.... 600mm (and a bit) between the stud wall end of shower cubical and the wall on bottom of image, the stud wall goes right to the ceiling.
    [​IMG]

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I think it is a little more complicated than that. The rules for equipment in rooms containing a bath or shower are that the equipment should be suitable for that location. Usually this means IP44 rated. I don't know whether you should be installing washing machines or tumble driers in a shower room? By my reckoning both of those appliances are in Zone 2, so 701.512.2 (ii) applies. You are trying to make something in to something that is not really allowed. Doesn't help I know but thems the rules.

14. Dominic Baines

The switch HAD to go outside the room for the other bathroom, that was another discussion.
    Understand not that simple... I had assumed... Zone 2 as well as adjacent to the shower area.

I also understood (had to dig a bit with Beko for an answer) If washing machines, tumble dryers are rated IPX4 (they both are) may be sited in Zone 2. There is an extractor fan above on the wall at bottom of image so there should be no steam etc build up. So they can go in there. However, I am understanding there is a restriction on the location of socket-outlets as they may have to be applied via a fused connection unit sited beyond Zone 2. Room way too small to have a zone 3 in room I think.

The suggestion originally made was spur RCD feed from the other side of the solid cavity wall (where the ring/spur can go) to the right in the image but the sockets (or a fixed connection as per Mt HandyAndy) I'd like enclosed in a IP44 or better enclosure (IP66 for instance), high on the the wall with a double pole pull cord switch etc in the room for them. I really don't want the leads having to go through the wall on the right to be connected, Yes that moves the connection out so will not be a notifiable installation but that room will become a kitchen,so more zone fun and games. Not confirmed what will go on that wall yet but if they REALLY have to then I guess two switches/sockets at 1200mm above floor is an option so units could go in to allow for this (and access) feeding the flex through the wall and then fixed wiring in the corner maybe.

15. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I don't understand why he can't use fused connection outlets, and I'm sure you could squeeze in an isolator switch on the wall above the tumble dryer, that would be more than 500mm radius from the corner of the stud wall, assuming the stud wall is about 100mm thick, making them out of zone

Yes the machines would be in Zone 2, but that requires IPX4, and they seem to be that according to the OP

16. Dominic Baines

The stud wall is 100mm... being built as I type this.

Once these are plugged in and very unlikely anything else will use the sockets until machines die or need replaced will probably remain plugged in. Will probably only get switched off should house be empty for an extended period, again unlikely. So doubt anyone using either wm/td socket will have just come out of the shower and be all wet.

The regs seem to discount some common sense. I as I am sure others have seen wm/td in downstairs bathrooms all over the place, common place in EU (and US come to think of it).

BTW just to add fun... the other room sockets if at 1200mm above floor could be as close as 320mm from the edge of where the sink will probably go oh dear another possible zone issue.

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hello Dominic. Ok so the appliances are IP44 so they are allowed in Zone 2. The issue with sockets is they must be a minimum of 3m away from Zone 1 which clearly cannot be achieved. The circuits would also require 30mA RCD protection which I would assume you have. There is a way out and fully compliant. If you draw a radius of 600mm from the corner of the stud wall then that is zone 2, so by my reckoning the corner of the wall by the window is outside of the zone. You can install 13A switched fused spurs on this wall and hard wire each appliance. Just cut the plugs off. I am sure this would comply fully with Regs. :) As said by CraigMcK. :)

18. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Too kind, but I'm interested in your 600mm figure, I thought it was 600mm-partition thickness, so 500mm from the outside corner. I think the full back wall is out of zone? on the assumption the partition is more than 500mm deep

19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You have to use the outside corner of the stud partition to use as the radius so it is more onerous and the full 600mm should be used. There is a diagram on page 209 of the latest Regs (yellow book) so in effect you step across 100mm not deduct it. :) Washing machines are about 600mm wide so the corner of the room will be outside the zone but the back wall around the middle or so would still be in.

20. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Has that changed, I've got the green book, just had a look and it shows 0.6-S with S = thickness of partition. I've always taken that as (in this example) 600-100= 500mm radius from outside edge

[​IMG]