What makes an engineer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Jul 3, 2016.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

You see it banded about a lot recently, heating engineer who is really a plumber but the best one has to be aerial engineer, obviously if you can tighten a clamp then that makes you an engineer.

I only mention it because someone was blessed with not one but two "engineers" a couple of days ago to an immersion fault in an electric only flat. MCB had tripped so they switched it back and left. Next day they were back as obviously it had tripped again, they diagnosed a faulty E7 timecolck and they were in fact correct believe it or not, however it was pretty obvious as the clock smelt pretty bad anyway (something had blown on the PCB inside the clock).

So they decided to replace the clock, the "engineer" fitted a new one, this is what it looked like yesterday.
    IMG_20160703_120252.jpg

IMG_20160703_120245.jpg

So worthy of the engineer title then?

2. peter palmer

Meant to add the tank was a dual immersion so luckily as it happens he decided to only connect one of the elements back up, the top one, when I say only connected one, he connected the neutral and earth from both up but left the live in a connector, So about 50 litres of hot water then if it ever worked.

3. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

An engineer will have a degree. Usually good at sums and his heaviest lift will usually be a pen.

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I fitted this to run my immersion...... Inside the large enclosure is a heavy duty single phase contactor

[​IMG]

Inside the large enclosure is a heavy duty single phase contactor. Its under the stairs so aesthetics was not the highest priority.
    Nothing melted so far.
    The top timer runs it every morning and the bottom booster does intermediate times.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What wattage are the elements Mr R?

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

3kw.

7. peter palmer

When I first saw the timer I thought there must be a contactor in the mains or somewhere but no, flexes straight into the clock.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nice job.

9. peter palmer

Why not just fit one of these though, or the digital equivalent.

[​IMG]

10. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I have met....a waste disposal 'Engineer'......................dustman.
    A washing machine engineer.... ...................component swapper(with not a qualification in site..including NVQ in anything.)
    A Bingo "consultant"...............I kid you not...................and no I have no 888888 idea what it means either.
    I think the membership of a professional body and the minimum of 4 years recognised training...on top of a good basic education,...is a minimum.
    I have spoken to young "electricians".....................who cannot use a simple megger to diagnose faults on DHW elements.

So from now on you may all address me as "Doctor professor retired sparks".....
    RS

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I thought sky used engineers!!!! The way they clip cable around door frames is a skill in it self and must take years of training

leesparkykent likes this.
  12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I had one of those and left it back. The minimum on time was too long and the boost function wasn't appropriate.

13. nffc

nffc Active Member

Engineer - A person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines, or structures.

Straight out of the OED.

14. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

A proper engineer will have done training above the normal college stuff and quite often have a degree,or that's how it used to be.Now the title "engineer" is often a way of saving money,there are certain amusement parks who employ young lads to do a bit of basic maintenance,greasing etc,now they give them the fancy title of maintenance engineer and the young lad is so happy telling everyone he's an "engineer" that he forgets the carp wage he's being paid.
    lets be honest,telling somebody you're a building maintenance engineer in an educational establishment sounds a lot better than school caretaker,doesn't it.
    Quite often I tell people I'm a gynaecologist,If you met some of the people I have to work with you'd understand.lol

15. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

The way the Sky "engineer" draped the cable over my carpet was a work of art. :D:D:D:D:D

16. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I was an engineer,by trade,if not qualification. I completed a 5 year apprenticeship & gained a full tech cert,so really I am only a technician. Yes,it does p**s me off how these people claim to be "engineers". :mad::mad::mad:

17. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

An engineer will always have a degree, as well as registration.

18. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Yes,we've all worked with these "engineers" with degrees,but when it comes down to practicalities,they ain't got a ****ing clue. Trust me. A degree don't make an engineer. :rolleyes:

19. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Don't get me started on BT OpenReach Broadband 'engineers'

20. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Engineers do get it wrong...

But ultimately you couldn't build huge structures like that without them.