What method to draught seal warped wooden exterior door ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by sorethumb, Aug 24, 2015.

1. sorethumb

sorethumb Member

I have a fairly heavy mahogany front door which has always had a gradual warp towards the top corner where it runs away from the frame by around 5 - 7mm. I can't use a thicker draught seal as it binds where the door fits. I was thinking about building out the inner door frame - either with a cut wedge or built up with successive strips of thin veneer to meet the door line and then running the draught strip along this. Is this an acceptable way of doing this ? How would a pro tackle it ? Thank you for any responses.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Could you not just double up the draught seal at the point the door warps, assuming your using a stick on foam type seal.

3. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

One way to solve this would be to rout a groove in the door and fit a weather pile brush and carrier strip into the groove . Reddiseals.com can supply these.

4. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

I'm with Mr moose on this one, a bit more work to actually fit but a lot better and more permanent job than any stick on foam seal.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

So am I but figured the OP didn't want to much work, otherwise the frame could be shaped to fit the door.

seen it all before likes this.
  6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Fit a bolt at the top, set so that it pulls the door in(pack out the bolt part, not the bolthole). With any luck, over time the door will 'grow' back in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

A bit of canny scribing and cutting can create a wooden infill, which would take up most of the gap.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To help correct the warp you will have to what is referred to as 'Putting the door in purgatory'.

9. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

If the OP doesn't want the work, I have successfully "cheated" in the past and just stapled on the weather pile direct to the frame, 'course, if you staple into the door you will be attracting curses from future chippies who may need to work on the door! :)