What nails for external cladding?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by roger06, Jun 7, 2016.

1. roger06

roger06 Member

Sorry if this is a daft question, but what nails should I use for external timber cladding that won't rust?

thanks

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Stainless pins I woud have thought. ;)

3. roger06

roger06 Member

Nothing comes up on the SF site when I search 'stainless pins' or 'stainless nails' hence being a bit lost. They do galvanised nails...

4. roger06

roger06 Member

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What is your cladding made from?

6. malkie129

No,but BTW, what are you using, timber or plastic ? o_O

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

A lot will depend on the type of cladding, wayney edge, face fix with annular ring shank, cedar t&g pin through the tounge, pine t&g you could face fix or pin, shiplap face fix with ring shank or trim head screw, there are a lot of variables, personal choice being one, timber species, thickness, area to be covered etc

9. malkie129

You really don't give anyone much to go on. Plastic or timber & if so, what type. Everyone will be happy to advise, but we really must understand the problem. :rolleyes:

10. malkie129

Whoops! Just seen that the OP said timber. Sorry. Just put it down to old age & Kronenborg. :(:(:(

11. roger06

roger06 Member

I don't have the timber yet. I've ordered 8 inch wide, feathered, treated external cladding. I have no idea what type of wood it'll be. It will overlap rather than be T&G.

Thanks