What paint for wet rooms

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Boolay, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Boolay

Boolay Member

Hi all,
    Got to paint two changing room ceilings with showers. Some of the ceiling has mildew and mould where it is constantly in contact with water/humidity.
    Got to use a product that dries quickly so the people can use the rooms in the morning.
    Does this sound right?

fungicidal wash effected areas
    Paint with zinsser perma white

Not sure if this is the right way to go or the most cost effective.
    Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Puma

Puma Guest

This is definitely the right way to go, I have checked the performance of the Permawhite against mould and it is very good, but don't stint on the washing down with fungucidal wash. They discontinued the 10l tubs a while ago but you might be able to find some somewhere - they were a big saving. You'll need loads of it, I got through 4l 3 coating a mid sized bathroom. Purdy Elite is perfect with undiluted paint here, or a monarch if you use a two inch. You have to lay it on pretty thick to cover.

3. Boolay

Boolay Member

Thanks Puma, good advice. I'm gonna need 60l of perma white. Brewers do 5l for just over £70 or a 10l for £88 !

4. Steveone

Steveone New Member

As an alternative you could use light weight decorative plastic ceiling panels. Made of plastic so will never go mouldy. Easy to use. Google stepfree ceiling panels. Might be an alternative for you. Sounds ideal for this.

5. Boolay

Boolay Member

Thanks for the reply steveone but the job was completed back in 2012. Good to know for future though.