What screws and plugs would your recommend to fix acoustic resilient boards to a solid brick wall ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Daver77, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Daver77

Daver77 New Member

Hi lads,

going to fix this, http://91.109.6.14/~acousticsupplies/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Silent-Board-Sales-DS-28.pdf, to the partition wall of our semi in the two bed rooms up stairs, hoping it will reduce the noise we will hear from whomever will move in next, I am struggling to decide what screws to use, was thinking of this ones but will probably transmit noise:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masonry-Concrete-Fixings-Anchors-concrete/dp/B00CJ8IWRO

was told that anything good quality 3-4 in plug will do, would you use this ones?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-window-anchors-8-x-100mm-10-pack/16018

as you can see I am a bit lost here,

all the best

DC

2. Hi Dad.

I suspect that the mechanical fixings themselves won't transmit any appreciable noise, and the board's manufacturer just recommends 'mechanical fixings' without being specific.

The 'concrete' fixings you linked to will probably be easier to use as it's 'drill and screw', but if you are really worried about possible noise transmission then I think I'd suggest good quality plastic wall plugs like Fisher, of a long enough length that the screws will be fully sleeved in them.

I'd have thought that the plastic will provide a level of sound insulation between the wall and the screw?

(But, to be honest, I doubt it'll matter a jot.)

The boards themselves should be effective, tho'. What's really important is to seal between the sheets and along all perimeters.

I presume you are taking your skirting boards off and refitting them? Seal these boards tight against the floor.

Is your loft space open to the neighbour's at all - even a small gap? It's amazing how much sound can find that sort of route.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  3. Daver77

Daver77 New Member

Hi Mate,

spot on, they just say,

"If you are fastening mechanically with 12 screws per board with a good solid plastic plug then this will be ok.
    The sound will lose its energy as it works its way down the thread of the screw. I would suggest a 4 inch screw in length with a plug to suit the screw."

I guess the ones for frames are the choice here... but not sure, I am just an office dude.

I am taking the skirting and coving off, I do have a carpet thought.

Regarding the loft, honestly I haven't checked, great tip! but will do this weekend, should I fill any holes with caulk or the special noise insulation filler?

cheers

4. Daver77

Daver77 New Member

Hi Mate,

spot on, they just say,

"If you are fastening mechanically with 12 screws per board with a good solid plastic plug then this will be ok.
    The sound will lose its energy as it works its way down the thread of the screw. I would suggest a 4 inch screw in length with a plug to suit the screw."

I guess the ones for frames are the choice here... but not sure, I am just an office dude.

I am taking the skirting and coving off, I do have a carpet thought.

Regarding the loft, honestly I haven't checked, great tip! but will do this weekend, should I fill any holes with caulk or the special noise insulation filler?

cheers

5. I guess, if there's significant gaps, expanding foam might be the easiest solution?

But perhaps wait to see how effective the soundproofing boards are first.