what screws to go through tiles and into plasterboard for heavy items

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by pitboy, May 17, 2005.

1. pitboy

pitboy New Member

can anyone advise me of which type of plasterboard screws i can use to attach my heavy shower screen to my plasterboard wall which has been tiled.
    also what type just to go into plasterboard to hold new radiator?

many thanks

2. pitboy - treat the wall you're fixing the rad to as masonry, as it has been tiled, the shower screen should come with the relevant plugs / screws, you can elongate the screws, if you're lucky there will be studwork you can screw into, if not use all of the plug / screws + apply a generous bead of silicone on the vertical support for the screen, remembering to smooth off any excess... :)

3. britishblue

britishblue New Member

4. BB - it's been tiled : :)

can anyone advise me of which type of plasterboard screws i can use to attach my heavy shower screen to my plasterboard wall which <u>has</u> <u>been</u> <u>tiled</u>.
    also what type just to go into plasterboard to hold new radiator?

5. britishblue

britishblue New Member

m3fitter, from the way he has expressed himself, it sounds like the shower screen wall has been tiled, and that the wall for the radiator is bare plasterboard. But it's not exactly clear.

BB

6. yeah, sorry BB...tiled screen wall & plasterboard only for rad??? :(

7. britishblue

britishblue New Member

No problem m3fitter

BB

8. pitboy

pitboy New Member

sorry for the confusion and thanks for the reply.
    the shower screen is going on a tiled wall.
    the new radiator is going onto a plasterboard wall.

thanks again

9. little-bloke

little-bloke New Member

now im confused?

Ive got a plasterboard wall with tiles on it.
    I want to put up some bathroom cabinets.

I have thought of using "plastic plugs " with the anchors on the back but the ones ive seen dont appear to be long enough to push through the tile and the board.

are you saying I should use masonry plugs and hope the tiles are strong enough to take the weight?

10. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I would say that just using standard plugs and screws should be fine for holding light to medium weight objects on a tiled wall. I wouldn't install extra studs just to fix a bathroom Radiator

11. little-bloke

little-bloke New Member

thanks bstyle

I'll give it a go

12. I would use the cavity fixings that BB suggested in both places... I wouldn't expect rawlplugs to hold onto tiles, which are only say 5mm thick..

If you can get the fixing tool for the plasterboard fixings, like a pull device, trying to screw these tight tends to dig holes into the plasterboard. fast setting tool (Quote 12429).
    Maybe its overkill through the tiles, but its what i'd use if hanging anything on a tiled plasterboard wall (often do radiators this way!)

13. spike - never fixed a screen with anything but masonry plugs onto tiles as in effect you are fixing into masonry, remembering the holes within the screen vertical support, usually holds with red plugs & say 6 x 1 1/2"....if the substrate isn't rigid enough, then that should have been taken into consideration prior to tiling with an extra noggin, behind the plasterboard