What size Armoured cable should I use

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by An dy1962, Apr 25, 2016.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh right.

Its funny really for a customer I would always use 10mm--never ever had a 16mm indication - its just that 10mm is a nice default in my books.

However I used 2.5mm armoured for my summer house - what the heck its going to have a couple of sockets and a light, and remote controlled actuation for for Victorian style lighting column..there is still plenty of headroom left after plugging in a small heater and stuff..;)

2. nffc

nffc Active Member

The best advice was given earlier.

Dig the trench and install a duct ready for any size cable.

3. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Yup and thats the extent of the project to be undertaken

nffc likes this.
  4. An dy1962

An dy1962 New Member

Thank you so much for your advice

I am just going to dig the trench and the Sparks can lay the cable and fill it in when he is done got to save up some money to pay for it all.
    I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to relpy:)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

So,after 8 pages of evidence, has the jury reached a verdict on the size of cable the OP requires...:p

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

6 and 7/8ths :)

nigel willson likes this.
  7. nffc

nffc Active Member

I would not mind but the op meant the length. :eek:

8. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Interesting thread. This isn't a new circuit, it's wondering about an eventual consumer unit upgrade and probable changes to the garage power consumer unit done years ago. That area is in need of some maintenance.

Newer garage CU's usually come with 32amp and 6amp mcb's. So wondered about drop on 6mm with a 38a load. Turns out that at 25m it's slightly over 3% so while the sockets etc are ok the lighting isn't. That would be a 6ft 80w tube so in practice it wouldn't see 38amps. So would the cable need resizing to bring the lighting circuit into spec? The SWA cable as far as ratings go is ok.

When the electrician upgrades the house consumer unit I would inclined to ask him for a separate 100ma rcb on the feed to the garage so that the garage 30ma would rule. That would be a new circuit. Implications anyone?

Dropping the 32amps - need to check but suspect not with a lower power level welder and a compressor running at the same time.

John
    -

9. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Pity you can’t spell electrician thou

10. nigel willson

11. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

I've heard that some use 3 core and add the amour to the earth circuit to lower the resistance. I've also heard comments from people with more "complicated" diy sheds etc that have a ground spike fitted being told by electricians to **** on it if any problems. Some don't seem to like them.

I'm wondering about them for bonding our gas supply due to how the cable will have to run if it's done that way. Seems the distribution people would quote on the basis of running cable around the front door.

John
    -

12. nigel willson

Why would you need to protect the swa with an rcd .dont need it unless it’s tt in the house

13. nigel willson

6 & 7/8 of wattLOL