what size swa to use

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jonsey, Aug 23, 2016.

1. jonsey

jonsey New Member

Hi i have got to run a sub main to an out house/bungalow,I am a qualified electrician 17th edition app3, 35 years in the trade etc etc.on and on lol.
    I have done some cable calculations for this swa. And its coming out at 35mm. it is a three core i will be using single phase.It is how ever 140m run at least.buried in ground most off the way.
    There will be a 9kw shower,washing machine,tumble dryer,Power,lighting and may be a electric cooker,etc.
    Can any one comment on this.or if anyone is good at that old cabel calc we learnt at collage.
    many thanks Jonsey

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

That's gonna be well over a grand's worth of cable, wouldn't it be easier to find out how much the rec would charge to put in a new supply?

3. jonsey

jonsey New Member

Hi, yea £1095 to be precise haha. I know what you mean.It is out in the sticks as it is on a TT system,I think it might cost a bit more,As they will have to go to the pole and drop down then run about 500m across farm land.
    Thanks for replying Coloumb.

4. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

I had a new supply put on for a LL, 4 metre run, we dug the trench. £1300. But wow 140 metres is a long run...Looks like 35mm is about right but 2 core should be ok.

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

6. jonsey

jonsey New Member

Thanks for getting back. Yea diversity , I hate maths ,just go with gut feeling after all this time, but 35mm did shock me a bit. Volt drop no more than 5% ,I used at least two main suppliers doncaster ,compton, both came back with 35mm. I was going to go with three core and use one as earth.
    The earth loop resistance is quite high around here. so could of used two core and put a earth spike in.
    cheers people.

7. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

what size overcurrent protective device are you basing your calculations on?

8. jonsey

jonsey New Member

Hi probably a 80amp hrc swiched fuse unit.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

35mm doesn't sound big enough to me. The last similar one I done a couple of years ago worked out to 70mm swa, that was basing it on a 40 amp supply. (volt drop etc.) I think the distance might have been greater, can't remember without looking back through my records. Have you checked it with the TLC cable size chart? Best to TT it all, the swa armour and the far end circuits.
    I suggested the client getting the supply moved, the DNO wanted 12 grand!

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

It will be 35mm. You need to budget for a suitable switch fuse at the cutout end and enclosure at the CU end to make the SWA off in. There's no way you need 3-core though. Use 2-core. You'll be TT-ing it at the bungalow end.

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Thinking about it now I believe the job i'm talking about was 220 metres.

12. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I meant to say "at least 35mm". That'd be from a 60A switchfuse. But there's many a 3-bed terrace house run from a 60A fuse on a loop-in, loop-out supply.

If the demand is too much then use LPG cooking.

13. leesparkykent

A few quick calcs and 35mm looks to be okish based on a 63A OCPD with regards to recommended max volt drop as it ever so slightly over but TBH you will never be pulling 63A. 1.365x63x140/1000=12.03V. 35mm 3 core would give you an R1+R2 of around 0.15Ohms......1.048x140/1000=0.14672. Two core would give you an R1+R2 of around 0.42 which would be no good for an 80A bs88 fuse. IMO you would be correct to use 3core or up the size of the SWA and use 2 core which ever is cheapest if your TTing the far end.

14. leesparkykent

That would be daft IMO....For one a perfectly good DNO provided earth would be better for the distribution circuit side of things and two being TT the chances are you would never achieve stable TN values so would need to be on an RCD........RCD trips and customer has to trot 140 meters to reset it.

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Would it not also depend on the Ze and the earth type at the origin?

16. leesparkykent

No because the calculated R1+R2 is already over the 80% maximum EFLI value so added to Ze whatever the earthing arrangement its going to be even more over.

17. jonsey

jonsey New Member

Thanks leesparkykent for your input.
    I was doubting my self there.but I kept come back to that size SWA.
    3 core it is .take earth up from house and maybe earth spike at new building .
    To be honest people I have order the cable and its in the ground.I just needed reassuring. Silly old git.lol
    Again many thanks to you all.
    Jonsey.

leesparkykent likes this.
  18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Mate, I'm not sure if I'm missing something blindingly obvious but to me it's a submain so it would have be within the max Zs at the other end, which would include the Ze. So I don't get why you think otherwise. I mean, if it's a high Ze at the origin, he may not be able to comply with the Zs unless he fits and RCD at the origin, which aint really a realistic option.

19. leesparkykent

Yeah that was my point, using two core SWA and the armour as the CPC would produce a Zs that was higher than the maximum permitted EFLI so wouldn't be acceptable.

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

So I don't get why that should make any difference using 3 core. The OP hasn't put up the Ze so without knowing this how can you make that judgement?