What thickness plasterboard for a ceiling?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by skinny d, May 23, 2006.

1. skinny d

skinny d New Member

Hi, I'm insulating between and under my rafters with 2" kingspan and am then going to fix plasterboard to the underside of the kingspan with good long drylining screws. The rafters are spaced by about 16"/40cm.

What thickness of PB should I use? I'd fancied 9mm because the ceiling is a double height room and the thinner PB is a little lighter to lift into place.

2. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

Personally I would go for 12.5mm thick.

I have never been a fan of 9mm, I think you will be better with the thicker stuff even though it is heavier and more difficult to position.

ultimatehandyman

3. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

you need to consider fire resistance, what room in the house is it? and what is above it?

4. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

sorry forget that, just read your post again properly!

5. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Hi skinny d
    Cant see any thing wrong with 9.5mm boards with a skim finish you get 1/2 hr fire resistance to the roof structure and you dont need any more sound qualities.

Agreed the 12.5 is more stable for lifting into a horizontal position but 9.5 is ok. dont use 2400 x 1200 boards if you plan to fit on your own, get the smaller boards and you will be fine.

The fact that your rafters are at 400 centre increase the stability of the 9.5 board anyway

Cheers - jonah

6. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Having said all that I agree with ultimate handyman - I would always slap up 12.5mm. Its not as whippy

Cheers - jonah

7. skinny d

skinny d New Member

Cheers for the replies. I'd initially thought 12.5 PB would be harder to position because of its weight, but your comments on its whippyness ring true with my experiences of my kitchen and bedroom ceilings.

I'll be jointing rather than skimming the ceiling so I think I may need 12.5 for the fire resistance.

Thanks for the advice, this forum is grand.

Dave

8. skinny d

skinny d New Member

Hi, I've just been thinking, if I have 50mm of kingspan followed by 12.5 mm of plasterboard and use the longest drylining screws that SF sell (75mm) then I'll only have 12.5 mm of screw tip in the rafter.

Is this enough? I'm not sure but I think the next size up is 100mm and they are a fair bit more expensive and possibly overkill.

Your comments will be valued as ever.

Dave

9. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Skinny d
    12.5 isn't really enough to hold the board in my opinion. I've seen about that holding vertical pb to walls but it came off easy. A ceiling mmmmmmm

from memory I think the 4" is the next one up but don't know ask at your locl merchant or google them. I think the 4" are probably nearly double the price of the 3" ones though

Are you using 2 layers of 50mm kingspan for ecconomy of boards or because you have 100mm rafters and need to maintain the 50mm vented air space. If not then what about increasing the thickness in between and decreasing the thickness below.

Alternatively nail!!! - not as good and more difficult I know

cheers - jonah

10. skinny d

skinny d New Member

Hi Jonah, I didn't think 12.5mm was enough, 4" screws it is then as I'm not a fan of nails for this job.

I'm using 2 layers of 2" kingspan because I have 2.5-3.5" deep rafters with tyvek on top. I need a small (10mm?) airgap between the cold size of the insulation and the tyvek so figured 2" between rafters, 2" below, nice and simple. I could have gone with 60mm between and 40mm underneath but then this would have made my life a bit more tricky when ordering and sorting out the different layers of kingspan.

I chatted the issue through with my BCO and could have put 4" kingspan either between the rafters (would need to batten rafters to increase their thickness to match and would have a "cold bridge" through the rafter) or on the underside (I have nice purlins under my rafters and want them showing so the less kingspan on the underside of the rafters the better).

I hope this makes sense. Cheers, Dave

11. jonah.

jonah. New Member

yeah - you are stuffed then unless someone else knows an in between length drywall screw

What about screwing a 2" x 1" batten across lowest kingspan using 3.5" wood screws into rafters through kingspan, then fix pb'd to these battens using nice shorty length drywalls

Its another option but have a look what difference an extra 1" makes to your exposed purlins.

Chhers - jonah

12. jonah.

jonah. New Member

You have then got yourself a nice 1" service void for your first fix sparks