what to do about this garage floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tehvlb, Apr 26, 2017.

1. tehvlb

tehvlb Member

So Its time to begin the proper conversion of my garage into a better workplace for upcoming projects etc, I have studded, insulated and plasterboarded the walls and ceiling.

The floor however seems to be impervious to anything I throw at it, it generates a huge amount of dust and despite giving it 3 coats of b&q garage floor paint it just sucked it all up and still looked thirsty.

To be honest it doesn't even look like the builders finished it off properly when the house was built as there is not an inch of the floor which has even a semi finished texture to it.

Do I get a builder in to put a skim of concrete on it? Would that even work.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

What about some self levelling compound? Another layer of concrete will need to be thick in order to bind, self levelling compound can be quite thin.

3. tehvlb

tehvlb Member

that was kinda my thought, get another layer of concrete put on it.

To be honest its getting rubber flooring laid down on it so aslong as its level it will be ok

thanks for the response

4. You want to make sure whatever you put down will adhere - and a dusty porous surface ain't promising.

Shame you didn't seal it with Everbuild 403 first - cheap and effective. Perhaps still worth a try?

5. tehvlb

tehvlb Member

i actually didnt do anything with the floor, it has been like that since we moved in.

I did consider some type of PVA to seal it a while ago but got waylaid doing something else.

you reckon a bash of Everbuild 403 would help?

thanks for your response

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It depends on what you want to do in the workshop. You could just put down floor paint and then cover with anti fatigue mat

upload_2017-4-26_14-29-8.png

7. Soz -I thought you had applied the 3 coats of paint. Surprising that that hasn't helped.

But, yes, that Everbuild is designed for exactly this purpose - soaking in, bonding and sealing dusty surfaces. If the floor is still 'thirsty', then good chance it'll work through the paint layer too.

I'd be very wary of screeding or compounding the floor as they rely on a solid base and a good bond - or else it could lift or crumble.

8. tehvlb

tehvlb Member

the floor paint idea has been tried, the floor just drank it up. I will be putting down rubber flooring once the floor is sound as my little boy likes to play around whilst im doing my pottering about and he has scudded his head once to many times for me to consider not protecting it.

You are right mate i did try to paint it, crossed wires. I wasnt aware that the floor was not sealed or finished in anyway.

Going to grab some of the everbuild stuff, give it a few coats and if it is retaining the dust then see if i can get it concrete skimmed prior to the rubber flooring going down.

Thanks once again fellas for your input

Deleted member 33931 likes this.