What to do with old pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jonesy127, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Jonesy127

Jonesy127 New Member

in the process of doing up the kitchen, the next job is plastering the walls. This old pipe(?) was covered by some 70s wall tiles.

We want just plastered walls with an upstand. So, what would you do with it? Anything easier than chasing out wall, and cutting it off?
    image.jpeg

2. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

I would disconnect and chisel it out. I have a similar thing in my kitchen that was for a water heater and it will be gone by the end of the week with the help of the SDS.

3. fire

fire Well-Known Member

How good of a job do you want to do?

If you leave no stone upturned like me then i would rip it out and do the job perfectly but hey everyone is different.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had something similar in my kitchen, it had a plug on it, thought it was gas, but gas pipe was run in the garage in iron.

5. fire

fire Well-Known Member

I must admit this does look like a Gas pipe.

Have you got a manometer and are you competent?

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A strong neodymium magnet will pick up the run of the pipework.

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What gas appliances do you have? Quite common in older properties to have steel gas pipe run around the house, but many are no longer connected as the boiler, hob, fire will be run in copper directly from the meter. You obviously must verify this before deciding whether it's safe to cut it off...don't take chances!

fire likes this.
  8. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Well said, hack sawing a steel pipe can create a point of ignition.
    That could be a really bad thing in regards to it actually being a gas pipe lol.
    Remember gas can remain in the pipe even after the main has been turned off.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Always best to check the pipework.

It would be the equivalent of cutting through an electrical cable, not knowing whether it is live or not.

CGN likes this.
  10. proby

proby Active Member

Almost certainly a gas pipe, does it go straight through the wall or is it embedded in the wall can you trace it anywhere. If its Absolutely a dead pipe and you can get it just below the surface give it a coat of oil based paint and fill over it. If in any doubt at all get it checked.

11. What's Jonesy gonna do?! :eek:

That pipe goes somewhere. It'll either be right through that wall (I doubt it, 'cos you'd know) or else most likely it comes up from t'floor.

Any chance of lifting a floor board, Jonesy?

Also possible - tho' not so likely - that it comes down from the ceiling. What's up there - a loft or a further floor?

If that pipe is 'live' in any way - gas or water - I wouldn't want to leave it there. I know it's a hassle, but filling in the resulting hole and skimming over it won't be a major task at all.

One day some twit is gonna put shelves or summat up and will very cleverly avoid drilling fixing holes directly above that power socket 'cos he ain't stoopid - and will gas 'imself instead...

fire likes this.
  12. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Nice neat job of the socket !

Brian_L likes this.
  13. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

If only I could get such a quality finish......

On a serious note, it looks like that pipe has a reducing bush and is not capped so I'd doubt it's a live gas or water pipe.

Tiny01 likes this.