What's a good White furniture Paint- except Sikkens?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wau5, Oct 17, 2016.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Basically I need about a litre or more of nice furniture grade white paint,
    I know there is Sikkens bl satura which I have been using forever and although it's super expensive it's probably the best there is,however I don't want to spend the money at the moment to order it in as I don't need much of it+ all the delivery charges and waiting 3days for it to arrive, ahhh...

Is there anything cheap yet decent ( can be not as good as the sikkens as well) which gets sold by the mayor sheds ? B&Q/toolstation/wickes/screwfix/homebase/wilko all are very close to me.

needs to be decent so it doesn't yellows, doesn't takes days to dry, doesn't stinks for weeks after that etc which is the stuff which you usually get with the other paints.

2. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Found few paints in toolstation which are water-based and promises wonders..
    maybe anyone used any of this stuff?

Dulux Trade Quick Dry Gloss Paint Pure Brilliant White 1L
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...3173/Dulux+Trade+Quick+Dry+Gloss+Paint/p71086

Crown Contract Quick Dry Satin Paint Brilliant White 1L
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...3/Crown+Contract+Quick+Dry+Satin+Paint/p53400

Leyland Trade Fast Drying Water Based Satin Paint Brilliant White 750ml
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...de+Fast+Drying+Water+Based+Satin+Paint/p18447

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What you painting?

4. Wau, I don't know how special the Sikkins is as I've never used it.

However, I think you'll find the alternatives you've listed to be perfectly good.

Not sure about using gloss, tho', unless you really want that finish? Trickier to apply, and more likely to show a less than perfect finish.

Just how knock/scrape-resistant does this have to be?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. wau5

wau5 Active Member

bits for staircase I built and some other high-traffic areas
    what I meant by furniture paint is furniture grade paint that just doesn't sucks and stays the same quality for years after it's done, I used to make custom furniture in past and I had tried out loads of the stuff and found that 80%+ of it is just pure junk which they sell just to make money & not provide a good product.
    at times I ordered just a bunch of same products for testing just from different manufacturers, whatever there was on market I ordered it, and well most of the times I was really really dissapointed :(

Kiab,
    I have tried that osmo wood wax stuff in past and it's not really fit for anything much that will be handled,their oils however are excellent product.
    Ronseal- have tried some form of those paints already in past, not touching that brand ever again... :D

Oh well I just realized where I'm going again, have been burned so many times with all of the ''quality'' paint products that seems like have to bite it and just order the stuff I know that works well even will have to wait to order it in as none of the large sheds sell it.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Do you have a Dulux Decorating Centre near you as they stock the Sikkens range

As you say, expensive but sure is quality

When you take into account the coverage, the quality, lifespan, then maybe it's not so expensive after all :)

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I am planning to paint the architraves for the doors I fitted in an earlier thread.

Looking for a satinwood finish. Friend has used the Dulux quick drying satinwood but found it drys rather quick and hard to apply by brush. The sample bits painted in the decoratr centre are all factory sprayed, so won't get the same finish.

I know you mentioned a sikkens paint in an earlier thread, but unable to locate it :(

Dulux do an eggshell in satinwood and was wondering if this is any good.

[​IMG]

Or alternatively looking to get a Trade Diamond satinwood. Want it durable as frames well get knocked over time so don't mind paying for a good paint.