What's the opinion on this?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by BMC2000, Aug 15, 2017.

1. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

How unsafe is this?

It looks untidy work for sure, this connector looks iffy and the cables slung all over the insulation is poor - they should be clipped to joists in my opinion.

No fire hood on the downlighters too.

Consumer unit - looks very old with poor socket provision.

Re wire job, what do you reckon?

Attached Files:

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

A nice rewire with latest db and proper down lights and stuff will eliminate that erm lets just say ''mess''

BMC2000 likes this.
  3. Looks pretty nifty to me :)

Ok, it ain't 'tidy', but is there really an issue there?

Yes, the system ain't been checked since 1993 - but who has leccy servicing carried out even every decade? Not me.

(Ok, it has been 25 years, so perhaps worth a PIR... )

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Looks like most lofts! New DB as JP mentioned wouldn't go a miss. Any issues with wiring should be found while testing.

BMC2000 likes this.
  5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Looks pretty normal to me!

BMC2000 likes this.
  6. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Its for a prospective purchaser - That circular junction box and seeing the blue wire got me thinking, although this is functional, is that style of junction box OK and is seeing the blue acceptable?

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Millions of junction boxes like that in use and still sold. Lofts are generally one of the only places you get to see exposed wiring and as with many aspects of houses and 'building', behind the scenes isn't always pretty :)

BMC2000 likes this.
  8. 'Blue' at least means that cable is fairly recent - waaaay after 1993 (it's the 'new' colours).

If that wire had a bare part showing, that would be a different matter.

Ok, it ain't the neatest - as a DIYer I am more pernickety when it comes to details like that. But is it 'wrong' or 'bad' or 'faulty'? No.

BMC2000 likes this.
  9. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Cheers folks!

10. mhar

mhar Member

526.8 re exposed basic insulation plus 526 generally re lack of cable restraints

Bazza likes this.
  11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

As above, that is a lot better than most!
    The junction box should be screwed onto the joists and the cables clipped to joists.
    That floating earth (cpc) would lead me to thnk that there is no earth in some or all of the cabling. The downlights may not themselves need and earth, but the fixed wiring certainly does. So it is worth checking that it has actually been installed.

You mentioned
    Almost certainly not necessary.
    Fire hoods (or fire-rated downlights) are only required if the ceiling forms part of a fire compartment. In most houses the only place you might find one is the ceiling of an integrated garage. Flats and HMOs are another ballgame, as each will be its own fire compartment.

12. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The regs require the cables to be clipped in places where they may be tripped over, cause a hazard and be damaged by the tripping. This is clearly an area where people walk occasionally, so they should be clipped. The grey sheath needs pushing into the JB to complete the mechanical protection of the insulation and in this case the JB should be fixed as at present it is a trip hazard and may be damaged by passing traffic. Put a terracotta plant pot over the down lighter, not my idea I saw it on here last week.

13. Hi BMC.

I kinda missed the gist of your first post.

If I were buying that house, then - yes - I would be looking to have it rewired at some point soonish.

By that I mean the CU is outdated, and the wiring jobs sloppy. Considering the age of that CU (them's are 'fuses', aren't they?), then I'd assume that some of the wiring would be equally old.

So, if I were moving in there for any length of time, I would be budgeting for a rewire as part of any general work.

14. Ok, is it wrong or bad or faulty to anyone other than a pedant?

(Only kidding - you are right. :))

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Its not bad but it could be better, if it were my place I'd be looking to upgrade, update and tidy.

16. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I will be telling them to allow for a re-wire in the next 5 years and live with what they have in the interim. Here was another pic

Attached Files:

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The roofers need a telling off - flipping heck. Electrics? Well who really knows on an intrinsic level? its all just pictures..nowt more or owt less.

longboat likes this.
  18. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Without those nails JP the slates would be on the ground!! The nails have lasted 100 years so far - they are starting to go all the same

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh right sorry BMC, I thought it was a relatively new roof m8, and didn't know it was slate.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  20. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

In your last picture it shows (my pet hate) that the cowboy who installed this used the old light pendant as the junction box.
    Bad bad. It should be a proper junction box, secured etc as above.

Anyways, ref a rewire, all of the wiring in the pictures shows modern pvc cables. Who can tell what the original wiring is like.
    BMC, I Do not know I f you are a competent electrician? If so you should be offering them a full EICR to advise if the wiring does need any work. Also if the consumer unit Needs updating.

longboat likes this.