What's your most used Chisel Size?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wau5, Apr 12, 2017.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

At the moment I have some cheap nasty Lidl chisels that are only good for battering something or opening paint cans, However I have realized I don't have a single chisel left with what I could do any actual task which requires a good chisel.
    So I wanted to buy some new, however I realize I don't need a set of 10 or 20 , some 2-3 but from the more expensive shelf would probably do most of the tasks, so really looking to buy just a few good ones.

What would be Your TOP 2 Most used chisel sizes ( and in what order) ?

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Depends what you want to do with them :rolleyes:

I used a 4 inch chisel for joint beams, down to a few mm for carving. A different set for a lathe

But really a decent set start at £25 from our hosts or go on ebay and buy vintage ones

3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I have some, bought from Lidl about 3 years ago, which are the same as those used here;

Mine have been, and are still brilliant. I do some good work with them!

Regards,

Cando

4. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Mine must have been a terrible batch or something.. they were made out of cheese, I chipped all of them within a space of 2-3weeks ( on wood while chiseling WITHOUT hammer). I think they were 7pounds for a pack of 5? :D + the handles keep falling off of them...They were reasonably sharp out of the box, but were loosing their edge REALLY quickly .. Can't really expect much for that price,can you? :D

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

6. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Those are Aldi ones not Lidl which are recommended by him.

Either way,
    What would be Your TOP 2 Most used chisel sizes ( and in what order) ?

Kinda looking at the moment to get 1/2 and 3/4

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Top of the page "Lidl Sells the Aldi Chisels Now Too"

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

About the same price as the ones from our host - not sure what the difference is between the blue handles and blue and yellow ones ?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The Marples blue handle chisels (old version) were made in Sheffield,not sure about latest ones, the Marples yellow & blue chisel were/are made in China I believe & poorer quailty.

And the M373 chisels are still Sheffield made.

Look on Ebay for the older Marple chisels.:)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I understand Lidl chisels are highly recommended and excellent value.

KIAB likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. wau5

wau5 Active Member

I think the hype is going on because that Paul guy recommended them... I agree for the price they were ok as disposable chisels because they were so cheap - but what does it actually means? I want a good product not just ''good product for the price''.

The Lidl chisels were total Junk in my experience! I don't know If I got a bad batch or something... but First chisel chipped 1/3 of its edge off the very first day, the 2nd one chipped later that week so badly that it wasn't even worth to re-grind it totally. I have 2 chisels left that Havent been completely destroyed that I use now just for bashing stuff, Both the handles have already fallen off of them!

No way I can suggest that junk to anyone...

14. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I posted what I did because I actually have them... in fact I subsequently bought another set to grind at an angle for cleaning dovetail sockets.
    I have a few Stanleys and Marples as well... these cheapies are just as good!

Regards,

Cando

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have

I have a set of the 373, use them but not keen, I have DeWalt, the older blue Marples, some Liegh Nielsen and Sorby and of course a load of vintage ones, plus numerous ones for the lathe and big timber and a couple of "demo" chisels which are really dangerous things - you have to remember there is blade on the edge when you hold them :oops: Which ones I use depends on the wood and whether I am in or out of the workshop and whether I am going to use a mallet, hammer or just hands.

[​IMG]

16. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

That would be yellow then!!!n.lol

17. Illio Juzygen

Illio Juzygen New Member

the right size for the job.??? lol

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you using the chisels within their limitations, are you taking off more than the chisel can comfortably cope with. Have you thought about buying a Multi Tool.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

:rolleyes:

fell into that one :D

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep, only chisels that you can shave with, are suitable for hand work and then only tiny silvers at a time.