Where is all the work??

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by accbuild, Jun 17, 2010.

1. accbuild

accbuild New Member

Have been trading for over 10 years now and never struggled for work. I have just been away for 6 weeks to USA and since returning over a week ago i cant seem to find anything! Everyone i have spoken to seems to be in a similar situation but i just cant go on like this. I am experienced in all aspects such as electrical, plumbing, joinery, kitchens, bathrooms, new build, timber frame, roofing, windows, tiling etc. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I have a labourer working, have all tools with me and also am willing to travel. Thanks guys

2. flooring bloke

flooring bloke New Member

Your not on your own mate. I had 15 guys working last year. Now just two.
    Council funding for a contract has just been cut, leaving us with next to no work.
    Its very tough! and prices are the worst I have ever known

3. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Works is there. You just need to try harder. Many tradesmen are very poor at selling and marketing. It's out there start promoting your business hard.

4. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Why don't you write to Lord Sucrose? He could give you some business Czary type advice like pfffffftttt, f* !

5. flooring bloke

flooring bloke New Member

Yes, there is work out there.
    If you fancy doing it for half or less of what you were getting last year.
    Our rates have been reduced by half or more.
    Chippies at a site where I was the other day (in London) were earning £50 a day.
    No thnaks