Where should the gas pipe earth bonding connect to?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I've shortly got my cousin down to install a new MK CU, he's qualified, so I could ask him but...he will need to sort the earth bonding out in order to sign the job off and I'm wondering where along the gas pipe the earth bonding connection should be made e.g. close to the meter, or anywhere along the pipe?

The CU will be next to the incoming 100A fuse in the under stairs cupboard, the gas meter is in the detached garage. It would be a bit of a pain to route the 10mm earth cable to the gas meter, and a lot easier to connect it to the 22mm copper pipe that runs from the meter, up the outside house wall and then inside to the boiler somewhere.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi David

Your cousin should know. Leave it to him!

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I just wondering how much length of the 10mm cable he'll need and what prep I might need to do beforehand.

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I feel sure he will have a real of 10mm off of which he will cut himself off the necessary length...when he does the job :rolleyes:

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just had the gas meter re-positioned, and e.on provide these notes:
    Gas Meter Bonding.jpg

6. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Are there electrics in the detached garage where the gas meter is? If so it will require bonding in the garage within 600mm of the consumers side of the meter and before any branch pipework...It will also need bonding at the point of entry to the house.

If the protective conductor is to be buried to the detached garage then the minimum CSA would be 16mm.

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The 600mm max is interesting

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thanks for that info, exactly what I was looking for. Yes there is an electric light in the garage so likely will need to run the 10mm cable in there and possibly another connection too.

9. leesparkykent

How are you planning on getting the 10mm to the detached garage? as stated earlier if its to buried in the soil the minimum will be 16mm.

10. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

What material is the incoming gas pipe in the garage?

11. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

Are the electrical regs still different to the gas ones. I seem to recall the electrical ones never mentioned before any branches/tees, at least that's the impression I got from every electrician who tried to bond a gas pipe.

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

There's a path that runs between the house and garage, its undercover so assume the cable can run across the roof supports and through the house & garage walls - its not buried at all. The incoming gas pipe looks to be the cast iron sort, thick black metal pipe.

leesparkykent likes this.
  13. leesparkykent

Reg 544.1.2

The main protective bonding connection to any gas, water or other service shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry of that service into the premises. Where there is an insulated section or insert at that point, or there is a meter, the connection shall be made to the consumers hard metal pipework and before any branch pipework. Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600mm of the meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external.

TheMorg likes this.
  14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Super thank you. That gives me all the info I need, I'll let my cousin sort out the details, after all he should know!

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Any idea what the earth type is?

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Bond the gas near where it enters the house, no need to run the bonding cable to the garage!

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If the incomer is in the house and he has extraneous parts/electric in his garage he would need to run a bond the cpc sized based on the earth type?

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Perhaps I haven't read it properly Col but he does say the gas meter is in the detached garage doesn't he.

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

No idea what the "earth type" is. If its anything like the rest of 1958 electrics, its of the type "not very good".

I just thought, I've SGN coming round tomorrow to quote for moving the gas meter (since the garage will get demolished at some point), I had assumed the CU would be replaced first but it might make sense to have the gas meter moved first - to the understairs cupboard right next to the CU!

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Sounds like a re-wire is on the cards, not just a CU change. Get a periodic done.